On Oct. 25, 1944, the USS Tang, a Navy submarine, sank after being hit by its own renegade torpedo. Out of the Tang’s 87 crew members, there were only nine survivors, who were soon captured by the Japanese and tortured for months at a POW camp. Escape From the Deep is slow to find its footing — the first 60 pages describe the Tang’s patrol in excruciating detail — but it picks up once the sub meets its untimely demise. In fact, Alex Kershaw’s vivid account of heroism and survival is so riveting, it can be only so long before Hollywood scoops it up to adapt for the big screen. A-
Escape from the Deep On Oct. 25, 1944, the USS Tang, a Navy submarine, sank after being hit by its own renegade torpedo. Out of the Tang's 87 crew members, there ...Escape from the DeepNonfiction, WarAlex Kershaw On Oct. 25, 1944, the USS Tang, a Navy submarine, sank after being hit by its own renegade torpedo. Out of the Tang's 87 crew members, there ...2008-05-02Da Capo Press
Genre: Nonfiction, War; Author: Alex Kershaw; Publisher: Da Capo Press
Posted May 2 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: Patricia Arquette to voice witch in Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- Betty White is furious about the killing of Cecil the lion
- Fox cancels Ryan Seacrest's 'Knock Knock Live' after 2 episodes
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!