(FROM VARIETY) ? Nicole Kidman will play Dusty Springfield in Fox 2000’s biopic on the British pop/soul singer. Word of the casting first broke earlier this week when writer Michael Cunningham (The Hours) was quoted in New York Magazine saying that Kidman was starring in the project. Variety reported on Friday (May 2) that the actress will both star in and produce the movie, which is being written by Cunningham. Another Springfield biopic is in the works at Universal starring Kristin Chenoweth (Pushing Daisies, The West Wing), with Jessica Sharzer (The Wormhole, Speak) set to write and direct. Springfield’s husky yet intimate voice was an integral part of the 1960s British invasion. Her personal life was plagued by drug and alcohol abuse and mental illness. She continued singing until she was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1995 and died in 1999. (Variety)
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!