(FROM VARIETY) ? Nicole Kidman will play Dusty Springfield in Fox 2000’s biopic on the British pop/soul singer. Word of the casting first broke earlier this week when writer Michael Cunningham (The Hours) was quoted in New York Magazine saying that Kidman was starring in the project. Variety reported on Friday (May 2) that the actress will both star in and produce the movie, which is being written by Cunningham. Another Springfield biopic is in the works at Universal starring Kristin Chenoweth (Pushing Daisies, The West Wing), with Jessica Sharzer (The Wormhole, Speak) set to write and direct. Springfield’s husky yet intimate voice was an integral part of the 1960s British invasion. Her personal life was plagued by drug and alcohol abuse and mental illness. She continued singing until she was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1995 and died in 1999. (Variety)
Posted May 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Quantico' postmortem: Who's gone from the Academy?
- 'Walking Dead' prologue scene sets up Negan, second half of season 6
- 'The Walking Dead': Did the midseason finale satisfy?
- See My Morning Jacket cover Eagles of Death Metal
- Sinead O’Connor found safe after posting that she had ‘taken an overdose'
- See Tracee Ellis Ross perform on stage with mom Diana Ross
- John Legend serenades Chrissy Teigen for her 30th birthday