(FROM VARIETY) ? Nicole Kidman will play Dusty Springfield in Fox 2000’s biopic on the British pop/soul singer. Word of the casting first broke earlier this week when writer Michael Cunningham (The Hours) was quoted in New York Magazine saying that Kidman was starring in the project. Variety reported on Friday (May 2) that the actress will both star in and produce the movie, which is being written by Cunningham. Another Springfield biopic is in the works at Universal starring Kristin Chenoweth (Pushing Daisies, The West Wing), with Jessica Sharzer (The Wormhole, Speak) set to write and direct. Springfield’s husky yet intimate voice was an integral part of the 1960s British invasion. Her personal life was plagued by drug and alcohol abuse and mental illness. She continued singing until she was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1995 and died in 1999. (Variety)
Posted May 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- USA Women win soccer's World Cup: Celebs on Twitter say...
- 'Penny Dreadful' showrunner's postmortem on season finale: 'I’m just very proud of it'
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer previews 'Scream Queens'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!