(FROM VARIETY) — Fans have been waiting a long time to see the directorial debut of comic-book legend Frank Miller (300, Sin City), but their wait just got a bit shorter. The Spirit, Miller’s adaptation of Will Eisner’s classic comic, is now due to be released on December 25, 2008. According to studio chief Tom Ortenberg, Lionsgate pushed the film’s premiere up from January 16, 2009 — and into the heart of the holiday movie season — following its reception at New York Comic-Con in April. The Spirit is set to open against two broad comedies — Adam Sandler’s Bedtime Stories, and Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson’s Marley and Me — and it will now be eligible for consideration at the 2008 Academy Awards. (Variety)
Posted May 7 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Quiz: Can you name these Image Comics characters?
- Josh Trank says 'Fantastic Four' will be 'multipower slugfest'
- New 'witch noir' comic 'Black Magick' casts a spell -- exclusive first look
- Ben Affleck on being cast as Batman: 'My first reaction was, 'Are you sure?''
- 'Maze Runner': Dylan O'Brien in new 'Scorch Trials' photo
- 13 reasons why 'Fast & Furious 6' has the greatest barbecue
Shark Week 2015:
Eli Roth previews Shark After Dark
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!