(FROM VARIETY) ? Nicolas Cage is starring in an updated version of the 1992 movie Bad Lieutenant, which starred Harvey Keitel as a drug-addled, lowlife cop in New York City. German director Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man, Rescue Dawn) is directing the remake — also to be called Bad Lieutenant — which will be officially announced at Cannes. The Abel Ferrara-directed original received an NC-17 rating due to its graphic and disturbing depiction of the title character (played by Keitel) engaging in drugs, gambling, sex, and stealing. TV writer Billy Finkelstein (Murder One, Law & Order, NYPD Blue) is writing the redo script. Production is scheduled to start this summer. Cage is currently shooting Knowing for director Alex Proyas. (Variety)
Posted May 14 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters