(FROM VARIETY) ? Nicolas Cage is starring in an updated version of the 1992 movie Bad Lieutenant, which starred Harvey Keitel as a drug-addled, lowlife cop in New York City. German director Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man, Rescue Dawn) is directing the remake — also to be called Bad Lieutenant — which will be officially announced at Cannes. The Abel Ferrara-directed original received an NC-17 rating due to its graphic and disturbing depiction of the title character (played by Keitel) engaging in drugs, gambling, sex, and stealing. TV writer Billy Finkelstein (Murder One, Law & Order, NYPD Blue) is writing the redo script. Production is scheduled to start this summer. Cage is currently shooting Knowing for director Alex Proyas. (Variety)
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- AMC releases first promo for 'Fear the Walking Dead'
- 'Once Upon a Time' reveals what happened to Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards 2015: And the winners are...
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' posts quartet of short teasers
- Gene Saks, Tony-winning director, dies
- Scientology doc 'Going Clear' airing Sunday on HBO
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!