(FROM VARIETY) ? Nicolas Cage is starring in an updated version of the 1992 movie Bad Lieutenant, which starred Harvey Keitel as a drug-addled, lowlife cop in New York City. German director Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man, Rescue Dawn) is directing the remake — also to be called Bad Lieutenant — which will be officially announced at Cannes. The Abel Ferrara-directed original received an NC-17 rating due to its graphic and disturbing depiction of the title character (played by Keitel) engaging in drugs, gambling, sex, and stealing. TV writer Billy Finkelstein (Murder One, Law & Order, NYPD Blue) is writing the redo script. Production is scheduled to start this summer. Cage is currently shooting Knowing for director Alex Proyas. (Variety)
Posted May 14 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!