(FROM VARIETY) ? Nicolas Cage is starring in an updated version of the 1992 movie Bad Lieutenant, which starred Harvey Keitel as a drug-addled, lowlife cop in New York City. German director Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man, Rescue Dawn) is directing the remake — also to be called Bad Lieutenant — which will be officially announced at Cannes. The Abel Ferrara-directed original received an NC-17 rating due to its graphic and disturbing depiction of the title character (played by Keitel) engaging in drugs, gambling, sex, and stealing. TV writer Billy Finkelstein (Murder One, Law & Order, NYPD Blue) is writing the redo script. Production is scheduled to start this summer. Cage is currently shooting Knowing for director Alex Proyas. (Variety)
Posted May 14 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agent Carter' takes on Tinseltown in season 2 teaser
- Idris Elba 'nearly died' filming 'Beasts of No Nation'
- Zach Galligan wants to return for 'Gremlins 3'
- Hear Erykah Badu and Andre 3000 team up for 'Hello'
- 'Gods of Egypt' director: 'Our casting choices should have been more diverse'
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright
- Hear Sia's new single 'One Million Bullets'