(FROM VARIETY) ? Nicolas Cage is starring in an updated version of the 1992 movie Bad Lieutenant, which starred Harvey Keitel as a drug-addled, lowlife cop in New York City. German director Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man, Rescue Dawn) is directing the remake — also to be called Bad Lieutenant — which will be officially announced at Cannes. The Abel Ferrara-directed original received an NC-17 rating due to its graphic and disturbing depiction of the title character (played by Keitel) engaging in drugs, gambling, sex, and stealing. TV writer Billy Finkelstein (Murder One, Law & Order, NYPD Blue) is writing the redo script. Production is scheduled to start this summer. Cage is currently shooting Knowing for director Alex Proyas. (Variety)
Posted May 14 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Talk about a Revolution: 'TURN's showrunner on season 2 and the new poster
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates