Is today Superfluous Day? From the Dept. of Sequels and Remakes No One Asked For, we have trade reports today of follow-ups to Point Break (presumably, sans Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze, pictured) and Fahrenheit 9/11 (this time, Michael Moore will offer a subtle, nuanced critique of the Bush presidency… heh, just kidding), as well as a remake of Bad Lieutenant that will star Nicolas Cage in the Harvey Keitel role. No word on whether Cage will duplicate Harvey Keitel’s notorious full-frontal scene in that movie, but all three of these projects sound like displays of things no one wanted to see. Still, in honor of another Keanu movie, let’s play devil’s advocate for a moment and ask: is there any way these films might actually be good? Any way they might actually explore areas that were sadly neglected in the original films? (And what might those areas have been?)
Posted May 14 2008 — 11:15 PM EDT
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Qs
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!