Before he killed with The French Connection, William Friedkin directed the 1920s comedy The Night They Raided Minsky’s about an Amish runaway (Britt Ekland) who inadvertently becomes a stripper at the titular (no pun intended) burlesque house. The film is lightly funny, but Friedkin diminishes its affection for cheesy dance routines and the sly teamwork of Jason Robards and Norman Wisdom as a vaudeville duo with quick zooms and cuts more suitable for…a car chase. Sweetest turn: Cowardly Lion Bert Lahr in his last role, as an old-timer itching for the limelight. EXTRAS None. B
Starring: Jason Robards; Starring: Britt Ekland; Director: William Friedkin; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted May 16 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Diane Keaton joins Jude Law for HBO's 'The Young Pope'
- Book your tickets to Istanbul: Someone's made a 'Breaking Bad'-inspired coffee shop
- Netflix cancels 'Lilyhammer' after three seasons
- More Meryl, less Springfield in the new 'Ricki and the Flash' trailer
- Unwrap the red-band trailer for 'The Night Before'
- Netflix: Bill Cosby special not 'appropriate' to release
- Terry O'Quinn joins 'Secrets and Lies' for season 2
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!