Before he killed with The French Connection, William Friedkin directed the 1920s comedy The Night They Raided Minsky’s about an Amish runaway (Britt Ekland) who inadvertently becomes a stripper at the titular (no pun intended) burlesque house. The film is lightly funny, but Friedkin diminishes its affection for cheesy dance routines and the sly teamwork of Jason Robards and Norman Wisdom as a vaudeville duo with quick zooms and cuts more suitable for…a car chase. Sweetest turn: Cowardly Lion Bert Lahr in his last role, as an old-timer itching for the limelight. EXTRAS None. B
Starring: Jason Robards; Starring: Britt Ekland; Director: William Friedkin; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted May 16 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lin-Manuel Miranda live-tweeted commentary for 'Hamilton's America'
- J.K. Rowling loves Amy Schumer's book
- Chris Pratt encourages people to go outside and look for trolls
- Kanye West scored Kardashian family movies to 'Only One' for Kim's birthday
- 'Once Upon a Time' star says Robin Hood return provides closure
- Jason Sudeikis duets with Harry Connick Jr. as Harry Connick Jr.
- Chris Pine cast in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time'