Before he killed with The French Connection, William Friedkin directed the 1920s comedy The Night They Raided Minsky’s about an Amish runaway (Britt Ekland) who inadvertently becomes a stripper at the titular (no pun intended) burlesque house. The film is lightly funny, but Friedkin diminishes its affection for cheesy dance routines and the sly teamwork of Jason Robards and Norman Wisdom as a vaudeville duo with quick zooms and cuts more suitable for…a car chase. Sweetest turn: Cowardly Lion Bert Lahr in his last role, as an old-timer itching for the limelight. EXTRAS None. B
Starring: Jason Robards; Starring: Britt Ekland; Director: William Friedkin; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted May 16 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!