Before he killed with The French Connection, William Friedkin directed the 1920s comedy The Night They Raided Minsky’s about an Amish runaway (Britt Ekland) who inadvertently becomes a stripper at the titular (no pun intended) burlesque house. The film is lightly funny, but Friedkin diminishes its affection for cheesy dance routines and the sly teamwork of Jason Robards and Norman Wisdom as a vaudeville duo with quick zooms and cuts more suitable for…a car chase. Sweetest turn: Cowardly Lion Bert Lahr in his last role, as an old-timer itching for the limelight. EXTRAS None. B
Starring: Jason Robards; Starring: Britt Ekland; Director: William Friedkin; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Person of Interest' post-mortem: Showrunners talk emotional finale and the return of Taraji P. Henson
- 'Agents of SHIELD': Inside the tie-in to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'New Girl' react: A modest proposal
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!