Before he killed with The French Connection, William Friedkin directed the 1920s comedy The Night They Raided Minsky’s about an Amish runaway (Britt Ekland) who inadvertently becomes a stripper at the titular (no pun intended) burlesque house. The film is lightly funny, but Friedkin diminishes its affection for cheesy dance routines and the sly teamwork of Jason Robards and Norman Wisdom as a vaudeville duo with quick zooms and cuts more suitable for…a car chase. Sweetest turn: Cowardly Lion Bert Lahr in his last role, as an old-timer itching for the limelight. EXTRAS None. B
Starring: Jason Robards; Starring: Britt Ekland; Director: William Friedkin; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted May 16 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Shia LaBeouf arrested in Austin for public intoxication
- The 'Robot Chicken' cast can't stop talking about 'Pretty Little Liars'
- 'Mr. Robot' cast reveal how they recover from intense scenes
- Fox cuts 'Minority Report' order to 10 episodes
- 'Con Man' panel fulfilled our 'Firefly' dreams at New York Comic Con
- Clark Gregg on whether 'Agents of SHIELD' will ever encounter mutants
- Watch Aladdin and Jasmine reunite for 'A Whole New World'