Surfwise, Doug Pray’s cool documentary about 85-year-old Dr. Dorian Paskowitz, his wife, and their eight sons and one daughter is about surfing insofar as surfing is the family’s shared passion. But the blunt-talking Paskowitz turned his back on capitalist convention, observes the Jewish Sabbath, kept the kids out of school, and raised his brood (now adults with a legacy of complicated feelings about their wild-ride youth) on the road in a cramped camper. And Pray is astute enough to know that, with colorful specimens of an alternative universe like these, sport is the least of what’s docu-worthy about his subjects. A-
SurfwiseSurfwise, Doug Pray's cool documentary about 85-year-old Dr. Dorian Paskowitz, his wife, and their eight sons and one daughter is about...SurfwiseDocumentaryDoug PrayRSurfwise, Doug Pray's cool documentary about 85-year-old Dr. Dorian Paskowitz, his wife, and their eight sons and one daughter is about...2008-05-16
Genre: Documentary; Director: Doug Pray; Author: Doug Pray; Release Date Limited: 05/09/2008; Status: In Season; MPAA Rating: R
Posted May 16 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!