Surfwise, Doug Pray’s cool documentary about 85-year-old Dr. Dorian Paskowitz, his wife, and their eight sons and one daughter is about surfing insofar as surfing is the family’s shared passion. But the blunt-talking Paskowitz turned his back on capitalist convention, observes the Jewish Sabbath, kept the kids out of school, and raised his brood (now adults with a legacy of complicated feelings about their wild-ride youth) on the road in a cramped camper. And Pray is astute enough to know that, with colorful specimens of an alternative universe like these, sport is the least of what’s docu-worthy about his subjects. A-
SurfwiseSurfwise, Doug Pray's cool documentary about 85-year-old Dr. Dorian Paskowitz, his wife, and their eight sons and one daughter is about...SurfwiseDocumentaryDoug PrayRSurfwise, Doug Pray's cool documentary about 85-year-old Dr. Dorian Paskowitz, his wife, and their eight sons and one daughter is about...2008-05-16
Genre: Documentary; Director: Doug Pray; Author: Doug Pray; MPAA Rating: R
Posted May 16 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!