An only-in-the-movies mother hustles pool to raise the money to abduct the son she’s been forbidden to see since her divorce. The kid’s abusive father, meanwhile, is himself the angry son of a domineering, fanatically Catholic old bat. There are plenty more wildly arbitrary entanglements where those came from in Turn the River, the actor-indulgent first feature by Malcolm in the Middle’s Chris Eigeman: Rip Torn as a grizzled pool-hall owner and Terry Kinney as a kindly passport forger. Even in down-market tank tops, Famke Janssen looks fetching with a pool stick. C-
Starring: Jamie Dornan, Famke Janssen; Starring: Rip Torn; Director: Chris Eigeman; Author: Chris Eigeman; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: R
Posted May 16 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles