An only-in-the-movies mother hustles pool to raise the money to abduct the son she’s been forbidden to see since her divorce. The kid’s abusive father, meanwhile, is himself the angry son of a domineering, fanatically Catholic old bat. There are plenty more wildly arbitrary entanglements where those came from in Turn the River, the actor-indulgent first feature by Malcolm in the Middle’s Chris Eigeman: Rip Torn as a grizzled pool-hall owner and Terry Kinney as a kindly passport forger. Even in down-market tank tops, Famke Janssen looks fetching with a pool stick. C-
Starring: Jamie Dornan, Famke Janssen; Starring: Rip Torn; Director: Chris Eigeman; Author: Chris Eigeman; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: R
Posted May 16 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Billy Joel's surprise July 4 wedding
- Penn & Teller reveal the craziest tricks from their upcoming Broadway show
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!