American Idol season 2 winner Ruben Studdard is getting into the nightlife business with plans to open a restaurant/club in his hometown of Birmingham, Alabama. The as-yet-unnamed spot will serve up “Southern food with a twist,” Studdard told EW.com on the season 7 finale red carpet, and host “national headlining acts” in a live performance space with a capacity of 600. “My dream is to have John Mayer play on opening night,” Studdard said. The club will be located in downtown Birmingham’s new entertainment district, The Forge, which is undergoing an $80 million renovation scheduled to finish in summer 2009. According to a local report, comedian Jeff Foxworthy is also in negotiations for his own venue in the area, and Studdard reveals that another Idol winner is setting up shop nearby: “Taylor Hicks is opening a bar around the corner from me, so it’s gonna be big.” Now all the neighborhood needs is fellow Alabama native Bo Bice to join in and Birmingham could become the country’s prime Idol destination.
Posted May 22 2008 — 1:58 PM EDT
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': What's happened to Agent May?
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' star on Ghost Rider's surprising move
- Damian Lewis in talks to play the villain in 'Ocean's 8'
- 'Chicago Fire' creator breaks down episode 100's big surprises
- 'Suicide Squad' Honest Trailer takes aim at the 'worst heroes ever'
- Joe Biden clarifies 2020 presidential bid comments
- 'This Is Us': Chris Sullivan on that Toby cliffhanger in the winter finale
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans