All You Need Is Love is subtitled ”The Story of Popular Music,” and it really is, in nearly 15 hours, on five discs. For this made-for-British-TV series, documentarian Tony Palmer compiled remarkable, rarely seen performances and interviews with everyone from Hoagy Carmichael to John Lennon. There are entire episodes on the blues, jazz, and Broadway musicals (the scriptwriter for the latter? Stephen Sondheim). Palmer makes the point too often that white pop frequently stole from black rhythms — he’s right, but it gets repetitious — yet if that’s my biggest quibble, how great must this be? See for yourself. A
All You Need Is LoveAll You Need Is Love is subtitled ''The Story of Popular Music,'' and it really is, in nearly 15 hours, on five discs. For this made-for...All You Need Is LoveAll You Need Is Love is subtitled ''The Story of Popular Music,'' and it really is, in nearly 15 hours, on five discs. For this made-for...2008-05-30
Status: In Season
Posted May 30 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Aretha Franklin blocks Telluride screening of 'Amazing Grace'
- Hear Charlie Puth cover Drake's 'Hotline Bling' with Kehlani
- Check out the thrilling 'Arrow' season 4 trailer
- Mr. Bean's 25th anniversary marked outside Buckingham Palace
- Joan Rivers remembered by daughter Melissa in touching tribute
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!