There are passages so achingly beautiful in Rivka Galchen’s Atmospheric Disturbances — about love, resilience, and perception — that you will not mind picking through a high-concept narrative that would have worked better as a short story. Leo Liebenstein, a middle-aged shrink, becomes convinced that the woman who returns to his apartment one day is not his wife, Rema, but an ”impostress.” Thereafter, he refers to her as ”the simulacrum” and struggles to learn what has befallen the real Rema, just as we struggle to figure out what exactly has befallen Leo. It’s worth the effort. A-
Atmospheric Disturbances There are passages so achingly beautiful in Rivka Galchen's Atmospheric Disturbances — about love, resilience, and perception &...Atmospheric DisturbancesFictionRivka Galchen There are passages so achingly beautiful in Rivka Galchen's Atmospheric Disturbances — about love, resilience, and perception &...2008-05-30Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Genre: Fiction; Author: Rivka Galchen; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted May 30 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Robin Williams' daughter shares touching tribute to Oliver Sacks
- Jay Z apparently joined Instagram – then quit after only a few hours
- See Miley Cyrus meet Internet sensation Baddie Winkle before the VMAs
- Netflix will lose 'Catching Fire,' 'Transformers' at the end of September
- See the 'Man of Steel' trailer get the 'Deadpool' treatment
- See 'Game of Thrones' fans visit filming locations around the world
- Dave Grohl celebrates Chicago’s music scene at Wrigley Field show
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!