There are passages so achingly beautiful in Rivka Galchen’s Atmospheric Disturbances — about love, resilience, and perception — that you will not mind picking through a high-concept narrative that would have worked better as a short story. Leo Liebenstein, a middle-aged shrink, becomes convinced that the woman who returns to his apartment one day is not his wife, Rema, but an ”impostress.” Thereafter, he refers to her as ”the simulacrum” and struggles to learn what has befallen the real Rema, just as we struggle to figure out what exactly has befallen Leo. It’s worth the effort. A-
Atmospheric Disturbances There are passages so achingly beautiful in Rivka Galchen's Atmospheric Disturbances — about love, resilience, and perception &...Atmospheric DisturbancesFictionRivka Galchen There are passages so achingly beautiful in Rivka Galchen's Atmospheric Disturbances — about love, resilience, and perception &...2008-05-30Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Genre: Fiction; Author: Rivka Galchen; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Scientology doc 'Going Clear' airing Sunday on HBO
- Kids' Choice Awards 2015: See who got slimed
- 'Home' is where the weekend box office crown is: $54M debut
- Destiny's Child reunited at Stellar Gospel Music Awards
- Angelina Jolie visits the Kids Choice Awards
- 'Walking Dead': You can live in Alexandria--for real!
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!