(FROM HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) ? Zach Gilford, the actor who plays Matt Saracen on NBC’s Friday Night Lights, has signed on to star opposite Emmy Rossum (The Phantom of the Opera) in the indie drama Dare and is in final negotiations to star a movie adaptation of David James Duncan’s 1983 Sierra Club novel The River Why. Dare is being directed by Adam Salky, who also directed the 2005 short film on which the feature is based. Gilford plays one of three bad boy high school seniors who break their own rules and take the biggest risks of their lives. He joins a cast that includes Ashley Springer (Teeth), Ana Gasteyer (Saturday Night Live), and Sandra Bernhard. Shooting is already underway. For River, Gilford is set to take on the role of Gus Overton in the coming-of-age story about a young fisherman who leaves his big-city home and goes on a journey of self-discovery along the Oregon river. Matt Leutwyler (Unearthed) is directing from a script by Thomas A. Cohen and John Jay Osborn Jr. Shooting is scheduled to start later this summer. Friday Night Lights is set to return for a third season in October on DirecTV and early next year on NBC. (Hollywood Reporter)
(Kevin Winter/Getty Images)
Posted June 6 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!