Unlike an American filmmaker who might get caught up in the politics of birth control, Romanian writer-director Cristian Mungiu crafts a nonjudgmental narrative of two 1980s college students negotiating a black-market abortion in 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. There’s something beautifully raw in his visual simplicity — no fast cuts, no close-ups — that captures the drab oppressiveness of the Communist regime and gray complexities of real life. EXTRAS In a doc, Mungiu says he filmed the disturbing bathroom scene two ways; ultimately, he abandoned his heroine’s perspective for the lingering shot that haunts the whole story. A-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Vlad Ivanov, Anamaria Marinca; Director: Cristian Mungiu; Author: Cristian Mungiu; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Watch the first trailer for 'Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell'
- Brian Williams might have misremembered a few more incidents
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Who will miss Janos on Game of Thrones?
- Smashing Pumpkins' Billy Corgan joins TNA Wrestling
- 'Black-ish' creator writing 'Good Times' movie
- 'Aqua Teen Hunger Force' to end
- First listen of Broadway’s 'On the Twentieth Century' cast album