Unlike an American filmmaker who might get caught up in the politics of birth control, Romanian writer-director Cristian Mungiu crafts a nonjudgmental narrative of two 1980s college students negotiating a black-market abortion in 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. There’s something beautifully raw in his visual simplicity — no fast cuts, no close-ups — that captures the drab oppressiveness of the Communist regime and gray complexities of real life. EXTRAS In a doc, Mungiu says he filmed the disturbing bathroom scene two ways; ultimately, he abandoned his heroine’s perspective for the lingering shot that haunts the whole story. A-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Vlad Ivanov, Anamaria Marinca; Director: Cristian Mungiu; Author: Cristian Mungiu; Release Date Limited: 01/23/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted June 13 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Supergirl': That big casualty 'weighs heavy' on Kara
- J.K. Simmons and Julie Delpy lead 'The Bachelors'
- Robert Schwentke drops out as director of final 'Divergent' film, 'Ascendant'
- Will Smith's 'Collateral Beauty' will go head-to-head with 'Rogue One'
- See 100 years of zombie evolution in time-lapse video
- Matt LeBlanc sitcom 'I'm Not Your Friend' gets pilot, series commitment at CBS
- 'The Magicians' postmortem: Does Julia regret nearly killing Quentin?