(FROM VARIETY) — A year after the demise of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Matthew Perry is planning another TV series that’s a backstage look at a TV series. Showtime has made a deal to purchase from Sony Pictures TV a pilot called The End of Steve, in which Perry will star as well as co-executive produce and co-write with Rescue Me co-creator Peter Tolan. The dark comedy will feature the former Friends mainstay as a local afternoon talk show host whose smooth, cheery on-screen demeanor contrasts with his bitter off-camera personality and his chaotic personal life, which includes a tentative romance with a co-worker. Tolan certainly knows from egotistical, lovelorn talk show hosts, having won an Emmy for his writing on The Larry Sanders Show. (Variety)
Posted June 19 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: Jason Isaacs to play villain in Gore Verbinski's horror flick 'A Cure for Wellness'
- 'Stitchers' react: Ambitious premise loses its thread
- Jay Rock shares introspective 'Money Trees Deuce'
- 'Entourage' becomes next victim of 'Honest Trailers' treatment
- See the new trailer for 'Paper Towns' right now
- Twisted Sister documentary acquired by Music Box Films
- Gillian Anderson-led 'Streetcar Named Desire' coming to New York