(FROM VARIETY) — A year after the demise of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Matthew Perry is planning another TV series that’s a backstage look at a TV series. Showtime has made a deal to purchase from Sony Pictures TV a pilot called The End of Steve, in which Perry will star as well as co-executive produce and co-write with Rescue Me co-creator Peter Tolan. The dark comedy will feature the former Friends mainstay as a local afternoon talk show host whose smooth, cheery on-screen demeanor contrasts with his bitter off-camera personality and his chaotic personal life, which includes a tentative romance with a co-worker. Tolan certainly knows from egotistical, lovelorn talk show hosts, having won an Emmy for his writing on The Larry Sanders Show. (Variety)
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!