(FROM VARIETY) — A year after the demise of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Matthew Perry is planning another TV series that’s a backstage look at a TV series. Showtime has made a deal to purchase from Sony Pictures TV a pilot called The End of Steve, in which Perry will star as well as co-executive produce and co-write with Rescue Me co-creator Peter Tolan. The dark comedy will feature the former Friends mainstay as a local afternoon talk show host whose smooth, cheery on-screen demeanor contrasts with his bitter off-camera personality and his chaotic personal life, which includes a tentative romance with a co-worker. Tolan certainly knows from egotistical, lovelorn talk show hosts, having won an Emmy for his writing on The Larry Sanders Show. (Variety)
Posted June 19 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Ghostbusters' new car: Paul Feig reveals #whattheygonnadrive
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- 'American Idol Live!' tour photos: Let's go backstage!
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!