(FROM VARIETY) — A year after the demise of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Matthew Perry is planning another TV series that’s a backstage look at a TV series. Showtime has made a deal to purchase from Sony Pictures TV a pilot called The End of Steve, in which Perry will star as well as co-executive produce and co-write with Rescue Me co-creator Peter Tolan. The dark comedy will feature the former Friends mainstay as a local afternoon talk show host whose smooth, cheery on-screen demeanor contrasts with his bitter off-camera personality and his chaotic personal life, which includes a tentative romance with a co-worker. Tolan certainly knows from egotistical, lovelorn talk show hosts, having won an Emmy for his writing on The Larry Sanders Show. (Variety)
Posted June 19 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Alexander Skarsgård dressed in drag for 'Teenage Girl' premiere
- 'UnREAL' postmortem: Creators talk finale, look ahead to season 2
- 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' will be back in theaters this fall
- Meet the Ares 3 crew in new clip from 'The Martian'
- Gillian Flynn returns to some 'Dark Places'
- Tony Hale loves, hates Harry Styles in 'The Comment Section' promo
- Meryl Streep took guitar lesson from Neil Young to prep for 'Ricki and the Flash' role