(FROM VARIETY) — A year after the demise of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Matthew Perry is planning another TV series that’s a backstage look at a TV series. Showtime has made a deal to purchase from Sony Pictures TV a pilot called The End of Steve, in which Perry will star as well as co-executive produce and co-write with Rescue Me co-creator Peter Tolan. The dark comedy will feature the former Friends mainstay as a local afternoon talk show host whose smooth, cheery on-screen demeanor contrasts with his bitter off-camera personality and his chaotic personal life, which includes a tentative romance with a co-worker. Tolan certainly knows from egotistical, lovelorn talk show hosts, having won an Emmy for his writing on The Larry Sanders Show. (Variety)
Posted June 19 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- New 'Star Wars' toys revealed in 'Rogue One' stop-motion video
- 'Waco' miniseries starring Taylor Kitsch, Michael Shannon in the works
- Lauren Conrad has a girl crush on 'Game of Thrones' star Emilia Clarke
- Kerry Washington developing female police drama at ABC
- Garth Brooks to singing Ashton Kutcher: 'Don’t quit your day job'
- 'Dead of Summer': Who survived the deadly summer?
- Nick Viall named the next Bachelor