Adapted from the 2003 Monica Ali novel, Brick Lane is one of those feminist cries in the dark in which the heroine, a saintly sufferer, is more admirable than interesting. In the 1980s, Nazneen (Tannishtha Chatterjee), a beautiful teenager, is sent from her native Bangladesh to London for an arranged marriage. Sixteen years later, she is stuck on Brick Lane, the East End immigrant district, with a husband (Satish Kaushik) who rages away at the Anglo culture that won’t invite him in. Nazneen endures his bad moods with a passivity that becomes a bit infuriating, since she barely seems a participant in the life that oppresses her. C+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Tannishtha Chatterjee, Christopher Simpson, Satish Kaushik; Director: Sarah Gavron; Author: Laura Jones; Release Date Limited: 06/20/2008; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 102; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted July 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!