The sumptuous costumes and florid dialogue in The Last Mistress represent early-19th-century French custom at its most curlicued, but the power of one woman’s molten sexuality is timeless in Catherine Breillat’s rich drama. Asia Argento stars as the title siren whose allure threatens the impending marriage of a dissolute younger playboy (Fu’ad Ait Aattou) to a virginal aristocrat (Roxane Mesquida). Breillat, the flamethrower who made Romance and Fat Girl, artfully twists period-piece drama to suit her provocative modern notions about sex, gender roles, and power. A-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Asia Argento; Director: Catherine Breillat; Author: Catherine Breillat; Release Date Limited: 06/27/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 115; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted July 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Erika Girardi defends 'RHOBH': 'It's not just a bunch of bitches'
- 'The Vacationers' author Emma Straub plans to open Brooklyn bookstore
- Critics' Choice Awards 2016: Who should win Best Actor?
- Two brothers play a deadly board game in 'Beyond the Gates' clip
- 'Office Christmas Party' stars on extras gone wild
- Conan O'Brien gets punished by a dominatrix in Berlin
- Taylor Kinney felt 'silly and bizarre' filming 'Chicago Fire' pilot
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans