The sumptuous costumes and florid dialogue in The Last Mistress represent early-19th-century French custom at its most curlicued, but the power of one woman’s molten sexuality is timeless in Catherine Breillat’s rich drama. Asia Argento stars as the title siren whose allure threatens the impending marriage of a dissolute younger playboy (Fu’ad Ait Aattou) to a virginal aristocrat (Roxane Mesquida). Breillat, the flamethrower who made Romance and Fat Girl, artfully twists period-piece drama to suit her provocative modern notions about sex, gender roles, and power. A-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Asia Argento; Director: Catherine Breillat; Author: Catherine Breillat; Runtime (in minutes): 115; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted July 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See the first trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi movie
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!