The sumptuous costumes and florid dialogue in The Last Mistress represent early-19th-century French custom at its most curlicued, but the power of one woman’s molten sexuality is timeless in Catherine Breillat’s rich drama. Asia Argento stars as the title siren whose allure threatens the impending marriage of a dissolute younger playboy (Fu’ad Ait Aattou) to a virginal aristocrat (Roxane Mesquida). Breillat, the flamethrower who made Romance and Fat Girl, artfully twists period-piece drama to suit her provocative modern notions about sex, gender roles, and power. A-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Asia Argento; Director: Catherine Breillat; Author: Catherine Breillat; Release Date Limited: 06/27/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 115; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted July 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday