The sumptuous costumes and florid dialogue in The Last Mistress represent early-19th-century French custom at its most curlicued, but the power of one woman’s molten sexuality is timeless in Catherine Breillat’s rich drama. Asia Argento stars as the title siren whose allure threatens the impending marriage of a dissolute younger playboy (Fu’ad Ait Aattou) to a virginal aristocrat (Roxane Mesquida). Breillat, the flamethrower who made Romance and Fat Girl, artfully twists period-piece drama to suit her provocative modern notions about sex, gender roles, and power. A-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Asia Argento; Director: Catherine Breillat; Author: Catherine Breillat; Release Date Limited: 06/27/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 115; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted July 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay looks back on his stellar debut year
- 'Star Wars'-themed movie theater set to open
- Holland Taylor opens up about relationship with younger woman
- J.J. Abrams on the making of the #Force4Ham sequence
- Read the heartwarming story behind one of the new droids in 'Star Wars'
- Bono on U2's return to Paris: 'Nothing will stop us from going back'