The sumptuous costumes and florid dialogue in The Last Mistress represent early-19th-century French custom at its most curlicued, but the power of one woman’s molten sexuality is timeless in Catherine Breillat’s rich drama. Asia Argento stars as the title siren whose allure threatens the impending marriage of a dissolute younger playboy (Fu’ad Ait Aattou) to a virginal aristocrat (Roxane Mesquida). Breillat, the flamethrower who made Romance and Fat Girl, artfully twists period-piece drama to suit her provocative modern notions about sex, gender roles, and power. A-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Asia Argento; Director: Catherine Breillat; Author: Catherine Breillat; Runtime (in minutes): 115; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Disney 'will one day' make another 'Indiana Jones' movie
- The 'Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck' scene you weren't supposed to see
- Get to know Nashville's most promising outlaw
- Weird Al talks about his worst costume and that time he fell through a stage
- Met Gala: 10 reasons it's more fun for fashion watchers than the Oscars
- Giorgio Moroder releases video for Sia-featuring 'Deja Vu'
- 'Walking Dead' actor arrested for DUI
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!