The two stars of the sweet, minor-key dramedy Diminished Capacity both suffer from the not-operating-with-a-full-deck malady of the title — sad-sack Chicago newspaperman Cooper (Matthew Broderick) due to a grade-3 concussion, and his dotty country uncle Rollie (Alan Alda) because of encroaching Alzheimer’s. When the pair embark on a road trip from Missouri back to the Windy City to sell Rollie’s valuable vintage baseball card (with Virginia Madsen along for the ride as Broderick’s former small-town love), the result is fairly silly slapstick, but Alda, hair disheveled and brow knit with stubborn intent, is both fierce and quietly heartbreaking. B+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Alan Alda, Matthew Broderick; Director: Terry Kinney; Author: Sherwood Kiraly; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted July 11 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stan Lee attends 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Casting Net: Radcliffe and Dano lead 'Swiss Army Man' cast
- AC/DC near streaming deals?
- Jack Carter, comedian-actor, dies at 93
- NeNe Leakes exiting 'Real Housewives'
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'
- 'Ghostbusters' uniform: Paul Feig tweets first look
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!