The two stars of the sweet, minor-key dramedy Diminished Capacity both suffer from the not-operating-with-a-full-deck malady of the title — sad-sack Chicago newspaperman Cooper (Matthew Broderick) due to a grade-3 concussion, and his dotty country uncle Rollie (Alan Alda) because of encroaching Alzheimer’s. When the pair embark on a road trip from Missouri back to the Windy City to sell Rollie’s valuable vintage baseball card (with Virginia Madsen along for the ride as Broderick’s former small-town love), the result is fairly silly slapstick, but Alda, hair disheveled and brow knit with stubborn intent, is both fierce and quietly heartbreaking. B+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Alan Alda, Matthew Broderick; Director: Terry Kinney; Author: Sherwood Kiraly; Release Date Limited: 07/04/2008; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted July 11 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Ryan Reynolds give Conan O’Brien a massage as Deadpool (with panda tears)
- Kevin Bacon campaigns for more male nudity in Hollywood in mock PSA
- See the red band trailer for Ryan Reynolds' 'Deadpool'
- 'Playing House' season 2 premiere react: Did you find the BFFs' return 'totes kewl'?
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on that 'uncomfortable' Twitter save
- Casting Net: Will Smith replaces Hugh Jackman in 'Collateral Beauty'
- 9 spoilers on 'Grey’s Anatomy,' 'Scandal,' 'Murder'