The two stars of the sweet, minor-key dramedy Diminished Capacity both suffer from the not-operating-with-a-full-deck malady of the title — sad-sack Chicago newspaperman Cooper (Matthew Broderick) due to a grade-3 concussion, and his dotty country uncle Rollie (Alan Alda) because of encroaching Alzheimer’s. When the pair embark on a road trip from Missouri back to the Windy City to sell Rollie’s valuable vintage baseball card (with Virginia Madsen along for the ride as Broderick’s former small-town love), the result is fairly silly slapstick, but Alda, hair disheveled and brow knit with stubborn intent, is both fierce and quietly heartbreaking. B+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Alan Alda, Matthew Broderick; Director: Terry Kinney; Author: Sherwood Kiraly; Release Date Limited: 07/04/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted July 11 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kristen Stewart on relationship: ‘I'm just really in love with my girlfriend’
- 'Ithaca' trailer: Meg Ryan, Tom Hanks reunite in her directorial debut
- 'MacGyver': Tristin Mays joins the CBS reboot as series regular
- 'Gilmore Girls': Lorelai and Rory talk Amy Schumer in first trailer
- Netflix sets 'Gilmore Girls' premiere date
- 'Awkward' star Beau Mirchoff joins 'Flatliners' reboot
- Weekend Update team pokes fun at Bernie Sanders supporters at DNC
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels