The two stars of the sweet, minor-key dramedy Diminished Capacity both suffer from the not-operating-with-a-full-deck malady of the title — sad-sack Chicago newspaperman Cooper (Matthew Broderick) due to a grade-3 concussion, and his dotty country uncle Rollie (Alan Alda) because of encroaching Alzheimer’s. When the pair embark on a road trip from Missouri back to the Windy City to sell Rollie’s valuable vintage baseball card (with Virginia Madsen along for the ride as Broderick’s former small-town love), the result is fairly silly slapstick, but Alda, hair disheveled and brow knit with stubborn intent, is both fierce and quietly heartbreaking. B+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Alan Alda, Matthew Broderick; Director: Terry Kinney; Author: Sherwood Kiraly; Release Date Limited: 07/04/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted July 11 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Longmire' is back: See the season 4 trailer
- Chris Christie on Donald Trump: 'Life is a strange ride'
- Proof Kanye West & Donald Trump have a lot in common
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!