(FROM VARIETY) ? Robert Downey Jr. is set to star in Sherlock Holmes, director Guy Ritchie’s feature drama about the fictional detective. This latest incarnation of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle character is based on an upcoming comicbook from producer Lionel Wigram which portrays Holmes as less stuffy and more adventurous, using physical prowess along with intellect to solve mysteries. Downey reportedly signed on to the Warner Bros. project after seeing Ritchie’s latest version of the script, which was penned by Anthony Peckham (Don’t Say a Word). The project is set to start production this fall, ahead of Columbia Pictures’ presumably more comic Sherlock Holmes movie, which stars Sacha Baron Cohen as the pipe-smoking sleuth and Will Ferrell as his assistant, Watson. Downey, who just reestablished himself as an A-list box office draw with his starring role in Iron Man, will next will be seen in Ben Stiller’s Tropic Thunder, and then stars with Jamie Foxx in the Joe Wright-directed The Soloist. He’s also set to reprise his Tony Stark role in Iron Man 2, with Jon Favreau directing. (Variety)
Posted July 11 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Final 'Dexter' book says farewell to serial killer Dexter Morgan
- Kel Mitchell talks return to Nickelodeon this fall in 'Game Shakers'
- Kevin Bacon, Neil Marshall, and the other Thor to attend Fantasia 2015
- Tatiana Maslany, Haley Joel Osment among cast for 'Locke & Key' audiobook
- Here's your best look yet at the very cool 'No Man's Sky'
- More exclusive images of Bruce Campbell in 'Ash vs Evil Dead'
- Audience member attempts to charge phone on stage at Broadway play
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!