(FROM VARIETY) ? Robert Downey Jr. is set to star in Sherlock Holmes, director Guy Ritchie’s feature drama about the fictional detective. This latest incarnation of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle character is based on an upcoming comicbook from producer Lionel Wigram which portrays Holmes as less stuffy and more adventurous, using physical prowess along with intellect to solve mysteries. Downey reportedly signed on to the Warner Bros. project after seeing Ritchie’s latest version of the script, which was penned by Anthony Peckham (Don’t Say a Word). The project is set to start production this fall, ahead of Columbia Pictures’ presumably more comic Sherlock Holmes movie, which stars Sacha Baron Cohen as the pipe-smoking sleuth and Will Ferrell as his assistant, Watson. Downey, who just reestablished himself as an A-list box office draw with his starring role in Iron Man, will next will be seen in Ben Stiller’s Tropic Thunder, and then stars with Jamie Foxx in the Joe Wright-directed The Soloist. He’s also set to reprise his Tony Stark role in Iron Man 2, with Jon Favreau directing. (Variety)
Posted July 11 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kanye West's 'The Life of Pablo' has finally arrived
- Jonah Hill to host 'Saturday Night Live'
- Interracial marriage drama 'Loving' acquired by Focus Features
- Lady Gaga is getting her own 'Monster High' doll
- Melissa McCarthy hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Chiwetel Ejiofor says he'll never forgive Mark from 'Love Actually'
- Hear Disney princesses sing in their original languages