(FROM VARIETY) ? Robert Downey Jr. is set to star in Sherlock Holmes, director Guy Ritchie’s feature drama about the fictional detective. This latest incarnation of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle character is based on an upcoming comicbook from producer Lionel Wigram which portrays Holmes as less stuffy and more adventurous, using physical prowess along with intellect to solve mysteries. Downey reportedly signed on to the Warner Bros. project after seeing Ritchie’s latest version of the script, which was penned by Anthony Peckham (Don’t Say a Word). The project is set to start production this fall, ahead of Columbia Pictures’ presumably more comic Sherlock Holmes movie, which stars Sacha Baron Cohen as the pipe-smoking sleuth and Will Ferrell as his assistant, Watson. Downey, who just reestablished himself as an A-list box office draw with his starring role in Iron Man, will next will be seen in Ben Stiller’s Tropic Thunder, and then stars with Jamie Foxx in the Joe Wright-directed The Soloist. He’s also set to reprise his Tony Stark role in Iron Man 2, with Jon Favreau directing. (Variety)
Posted July 11 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Krasinski & Corden recreate 'Pulp Fiction' in hilarious sketch
- What to Watch Thurs.: 'RuPaul's All Star Drag Race' changes the rules
- 'Empire lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...