(FROM VARIETY) ? Robert Downey Jr. is set to star in Sherlock Holmes, director Guy Ritchie’s feature drama about the fictional detective. This latest incarnation of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle character is based on an upcoming comicbook from producer Lionel Wigram which portrays Holmes as less stuffy and more adventurous, using physical prowess along with intellect to solve mysteries. Downey reportedly signed on to the Warner Bros. project after seeing Ritchie’s latest version of the script, which was penned by Anthony Peckham (Don’t Say a Word). The project is set to start production this fall, ahead of Columbia Pictures’ presumably more comic Sherlock Holmes movie, which stars Sacha Baron Cohen as the pipe-smoking sleuth and Will Ferrell as his assistant, Watson. Downey, who just reestablished himself as an A-list box office draw with his starring role in Iron Man, will next will be seen in Ben Stiller’s Tropic Thunder, and then stars with Jamie Foxx in the Joe Wright-directed The Soloist. He’s also set to reprise his Tony Stark role in Iron Man 2, with Jon Favreau directing. (Variety)
Posted July 11 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Grey's Anatomy': What's next for the Mer-Maggie-Riggs triangle?
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon share a textual experience
- What To Watch Thursday: Another bad person in 'The Good Place'
- 'A Game of Thrones': Preview the enhanced iBooks edition
- 'Survivor': Jeff Probst on the latest medical scare
- 'Criminal Minds': Thomas Gibson returns for premiere
- 'Birth of a Nation' director Nate Parker to appear on '60 Minutes'