Eddie Murphy hasn’t aged in any obvious way, which may be why he now looks like a Madame Tussauds replica of himself: slightly waxy and eerily preserved. That makes him perfect to play the robot hero of Meet Dave. Wandering through Manhattan (he’s an alien machine searching for salt to save his planet), Murphy makes his face a blank slate, but those popped eyes are almost iridescent, and there’s a hint of deviltry in his stone-featured Buster Keaton gaze. Meet Dave resurrects the gambit of the inside-the-human-body segment of Woody Allen’s 1974 Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex…But Were Afraid to Ask: Murphy’s robot, who picks up the name Dave, is a spaceship run by tiny technicians, each devoted to one section of the body — and led by a captain, played by Murphy with an absurdly proper British accent. When the captain speaks, his words come out of Dave’s mouth, and this leads to some funny scenes, like when Dave imitates the handshakes and smiling ”Yeah!”s of the guy he’s meeting — an acid send-up of fake American bonhomie. Dave is such a good mimic he becomes touching in his literal-minded innocence. Meet Dave leaps between the nimble and the crude (yes, there are colon jokes), and when the crew members discover they have feelings, it grows formulaic. But this unfairly maligned sci-fi comedy testifies that Eddie Murphy still has the gift of surprise. B
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Comedy; Starring: Eddie Murphy, Elizabeth Banks; Author: Bill Corbett, Rob Greenberg; Release Date Wide: 07/11/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 93; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted July 18 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- 'DWTS' is bringing back Maksim Chmerkovskiy: source
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt blazes through aptitude test in 'Snowden' clip
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...