Three brainy chimpanzees are sent on an intergalactic test flight by scientists too daft to realize the primates are actually smarter than they are. What starts as a simian spin on The Right Stuff becomes a monkey-brained space odyssey as the apes fight to save an alien world from a despot who looks like the love child of a Teletubby and the monster from Cloverfield. While candy-colored graphics should dazzle kids, Space Chimps has little draw for audiences spoiled by the Pixar-given knowledge that CGI can entertain — and not just stupefy — moviegoers of any age. D
Genre: Comedy, Kids and Family, Animation; Starring: Andy Samberg; Director: Kirk De Micco; Author: Robert Moreland; Release Date Wide: 07/18/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 81; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted July 18 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- What we learned from the 'Pretty Little Liars' Comic-Con panel
- Hear that amazing Kelly Clarkson 'Already Gone' cover from this week's 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Justin Bieber reveals cover art for new album, 'Purpose'
- See the cover for 'Eligible,' Curtis Sittenfeld's 'Pride and Prejudice' retelling -- exclusive
- Sony prez says hacked emails had nothing to do with Amy Pascal's departure
- Lily James channels her inner zombie slayer in 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' trailer
- Joy Behar to headline a TLC late-night show