Relentlessly — almost defiantly — bleak, Take is one of those intersecting-fate movies where you know the outcome from the get-go. The only mystery is how it will arrive at its tragic destination. Minnie Driver is a blue-collar mom whose son was killed in a botched robbery. Jeremy Renner (North Country) is the desperate loser on death row for the crime. Is forgiveness possible? Charles Oliver’s directing debut certainly has its heart in the right place. But its climax, when the two finally meet before the execution, doesn’t really deliver. A movie this grim should come with more of a payoff. B-
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Minnie Driver, Jeremy Renner; Director: Charles Oliver; Author: Charles Oliver; Release Date Limited: 07/18/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Liberation Entertainment
Posted July 18 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Hamilton': Jasmine Cephas Jones bids farewell with stunning Instagram
- See John Cena and Aaron Taylor-Johnson in 'The Wall' trailer
- Ryan Reynolds on 'Deadpool 2' and new director David Leitch
- Critics' Choice Awards: Which show should win Best Drama Series?
- 'Rogue One': Felicity Jones didn't want Jyn 'running around in a tank top'
- Best of 2016: How 'Lion' found its 8-year-old star
- 'Vampire Diaries': Candice King teases mid-season finale
- The 20 Best (And 5 Worst!) TV Shows of 2016
- EW's 2016 Entertainers of the Year
- The 20 Best Movies of 2016
- Finding 'La La Land': Director Damien Chazelle's 15 Influences for His New Musical Romance
- 38 Photos of Ian Somerhalder For His 38th Birthday
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21: Meet Nick's 30 Bachelorettes