We could tell you that Space Chimps is a bleakly comic, Bergman-style family drama. But we’d be lying. ”It’s monkeys in space!” says director and co-writer Kirk De Micco. More specifically, this animated movie follows three chimpanzee astronauts named Ham III (Andy Samberg), Luna (Cheryl Hines), and Titan (Patrick Warburton) as they try to end the tyrannical rule of an evil alien (Jeff Daniels) on a distant planet. Far-fetched, you say? The plot is actually based in reality somewhat. In the movie, Ham III is a descendant of real-life chimpnaut Ham, who was shot into space in 1961. ”I’ve always loved The Right Stuff,” says De Micco of the 1983 film about Chuck Yeager and America’s early space program. ”In the film, Yeager says, ‘You think a monkey knows he’s sitting on top of a rocket that might explode?’ I looked into Ham and did some research and I was like, What if they did know that?” According to the director, the result features a good deal of ”Pythonesque silliness” courtesy of Samberg, as well as some slightly broader comedy: ”There’s a lot of stuff for kids, the kind of monkeys-falling-off-treadmills gags. You really can’t have enough monkeys falling off treadmills.” (July 18)
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Miguel releases Wale-featuring 'Coffee (F---king)'
- Britney Spears, Iggy Azalea release 'Pretty Girls'
- Domhnall Gleeson teaches us how to pronounce 'Domhnall Gleeson'
- 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' to film at Pinewood Studios
- 'Blurred Lines' may get another trial
- 'Star Trek' actress dies at 85
- 'Last Man on Earth': Will Forte on THAT season finale twist
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!