We could tell you that Space Chimps is a bleakly comic, Bergman-style family drama. But we’d be lying. ”It’s monkeys in space!” says director and co-writer Kirk De Micco. More specifically, this animated movie follows three chimpanzee astronauts named Ham III (Andy Samberg), Luna (Cheryl Hines), and Titan (Patrick Warburton) as they try to end the tyrannical rule of an evil alien (Jeff Daniels) on a distant planet. Far-fetched, you say? The plot is actually based in reality somewhat. In the movie, Ham III is a descendant of real-life chimpnaut Ham, who was shot into space in 1961. ”I’ve always loved The Right Stuff,” says De Micco of the 1983 film about Chuck Yeager and America’s early space program. ”In the film, Yeager says, ‘You think a monkey knows he’s sitting on top of a rocket that might explode?’ I looked into Ham and did some research and I was like, What if they did know that?” According to the director, the result features a good deal of ”Pythonesque silliness” courtesy of Samberg, as well as some slightly broader comedy: ”There’s a lot of stuff for kids, the kind of monkeys-falling-off-treadmills gags. You really can’t have enough monkeys falling off treadmills.” (July 18)
Posted July 21 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jack Black meets the cast of Broadway's 'School of Rock'
- See Ellen DeGeneres scare Chris Evans and Elizabeth Olsen
- See the Dixie Chicks cover Beyoncé's 'Daddy Lessons'
- New 'Call of Duty' teasers warn of a new enemy
- Beyoncé scores her sixth No. 1 album with 'Lemonade'
- Zac Efron once cried to try to get out of a ticket
- 'Friends' stars Matthew Perry and Matt LeBlanc reunite in London
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch