We could tell you that Space Chimps is a bleakly comic, Bergman-style family drama. But we’d be lying. ”It’s monkeys in space!” says director and co-writer Kirk De Micco. More specifically, this animated movie follows three chimpanzee astronauts named Ham III (Andy Samberg), Luna (Cheryl Hines), and Titan (Patrick Warburton) as they try to end the tyrannical rule of an evil alien (Jeff Daniels) on a distant planet. Far-fetched, you say? The plot is actually based in reality somewhat. In the movie, Ham III is a descendant of real-life chimpnaut Ham, who was shot into space in 1961. ”I’ve always loved The Right Stuff,” says De Micco of the 1983 film about Chuck Yeager and America’s early space program. ”In the film, Yeager says, ‘You think a monkey knows he’s sitting on top of a rocket that might explode?’ I looked into Ham and did some research and I was like, What if they did know that?” According to the director, the result features a good deal of ”Pythonesque silliness” courtesy of Samberg, as well as some slightly broader comedy: ”There’s a lot of stuff for kids, the kind of monkeys-falling-off-treadmills gags. You really can’t have enough monkeys falling off treadmills.” (July 18)
Posted July 21 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: tWitch on Team Street's best exit
- 'Daily Show with Trevor Noah' promo previews a few changes with new host
- See T-Pain sing the national anthem at a Dodgers game
- Sam Smith loves Hozier's cover of 'Lay Me Down'
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!