(FROM THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) — Nigel Lythgoe has confirmed rumors that he is stepping down as executive producer of American Idol, the most popular show on television. ”Due to the huge success of So You Think You Can Dance, my summer will be taken up by travels to South Africa, Australia, and Canada to work on local versions of the show,” Lythgoe said via a statement. ”I will step back from my day-to-day producing work on American Idol and will be devoting my time to a new venture with Simon Fuller.” Idol production company 19 Entertainment denied rumors that Lythgoe was also stepping down as president of that company. (Hollywood Reporter)
Posted August 6 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Robert Redford narrates 'National Parks Adventure' doc
- 'Silicon Valley': See the first trailer for season 3
- CW sets premiere dates for 'Containment,' 'Beauty and the Beast'
- EW Staff Picks: Which other TV shows deserve the reboot/revival treatment?
- 'Master of None' renewed for season 2, coming 2017
- 'Roots' remake gets intense first trailer
- How 'Street Fighter V' will be 'the dominant fighting game of this generation'
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996