(FROM THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) — Nigel Lythgoe has confirmed rumors that he is stepping down as executive producer of American Idol, the most popular show on television. ”Due to the huge success of So You Think You Can Dance, my summer will be taken up by travels to South Africa, Australia, and Canada to work on local versions of the show,” Lythgoe said via a statement. ”I will step back from my day-to-day producing work on American Idol and will be devoting my time to a new venture with Simon Fuller.” Idol production company 19 Entertainment denied rumors that Lythgoe was also stepping down as president of that company. (Hollywood Reporter)
Posted August 6 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Empire': Lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming at youth detention center
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...