(FROM THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) — Nigel Lythgoe has confirmed rumors that he is stepping down as executive producer of American Idol, the most popular show on television. ”Due to the huge success of So You Think You Can Dance, my summer will be taken up by travels to South Africa, Australia, and Canada to work on local versions of the show,” Lythgoe said via a statement. ”I will step back from my day-to-day producing work on American Idol and will be devoting my time to a new venture with Simon Fuller.” Idol production company 19 Entertainment denied rumors that Lythgoe was also stepping down as president of that company. (Hollywood Reporter)
Posted August 6 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- ‘Tomorrowland’ leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Dave Grohl joins Paul McCartney on London stage: Watch
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!