What if Rick Blaine and Victor Laszlo had been captured by the Nazis in Casablanca? That’s the essential dynamic of Austrian director Stefan Ruzowitzky’s Oscar-winning morality play The Counterfeiters about concentration camp inmates forced to counterfeit millions of dollars and pounds for a Nazi plot to crash the Allied economies. Sally (Markovics) is a ”most charming scoundrel,” willing to trade his forgery skills for temporary survival. Adolf Burger (Diehl) is the stubborn idealist who risks everything to sabotage the scam. The most fascinating character, though, is their Nazi overseer (Devid Striesow), a bourgeois bureaucrat who actually believes a kind word and a Ping-Pong table can negate the inmates’ plight and the hellish reality beyond the walls of the ”Golden Cage” barrack. The real Burger, now 91, stars in several DVD extras, detailing his ”privileged” life in the camp’s counterfeiting unit — ”We were dead men on holiday; we never expected to walk away alive” — and explaining his mission never to let the world forget the Nazis’ crimes. ”What has happened exceeds the imagination of a normal person,” he says in an interview. ”The Nazis were not only murderers but also ordinary criminals.” His tale, in the hands of Ruzowitzky, is the culmination of a beautiful friendship. A-
Genre: War, Drama; Starring: August Diehl, Karl Markovics; Director: Stefan Ruzowitzky; Author: Stefan Ruzowitzky; Release Date Limited: 02/22/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted August 8 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday