On Craigslist, Wilson (Scoot McNairy), a horny slacker, meets Vivian (Sara Simmonds), a claws-out neurotic viper, for a last-minute New Year’s Eve date. So far, so contrived. But as the two wander around L.A. in In Search of a Midnight Kiss, they relax, and so does the movie, which turns into an Internet Age version of Before Sunrise. Director Alex Holdridge films obscure back-alley districts in a spangly black and white that makes the city feel freshly discovered, and McNairy and Simmonds act out the 21st-century mating dance, in which love battles trendy detachment. B+
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Scoot McNairy, Sara Simmonds; Director: Alex Holdridge; Author: Alex Holdridge; Release Date Limited: 08/01/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted August 8 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!