On Craigslist, Wilson (Scoot McNairy), a horny slacker, meets Vivian (Sara Simmonds), a claws-out neurotic viper, for a last-minute New Year’s Eve date. So far, so contrived. But as the two wander around L.A. in In Search of a Midnight Kiss, they relax, and so does the movie, which turns into an Internet Age version of Before Sunrise. Director Alex Holdridge films obscure back-alley districts in a spangly black and white that makes the city feel freshly discovered, and McNairy and Simmonds act out the 21st-century mating dance, in which love battles trendy detachment. B+
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Scoot McNairy, Sara Simmonds; Director: Alex Holdridge; Author: Alex Holdridge; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted August 8 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hulu executive explains decision to pull '19 Kids & Counting'
- Mariah Carey calls 'American Idol' stint as 'the worst experience of my life'
- Kristen Bell live tweets her mistaken UberPool ride
- Casting Net: B.J. Novak joins Michael Keaton's 'The Founder,' Will Forte boards Key & Peele comedy
- Hilary Duff shares the track listing for 'Breathe In. Breathe Out.'
- TV mogul who helped launch Oprah Winfrey into daytime success dies