How nice that the TV Academy, marking a television season that was truncated while producers spent months deciding whether or not they wanted to pay writers, is honoring memorable lines of TV dialogue at this year’s Emmy ceremony. According to the Hollywood Reporter, various TV personalities will be reciting classic phrases, along the lines of “Good night, John Boy,” or “Live long and prosper.” Let’s hope the list of lines is not etched in stone yet, since I’m sure we all have plenty of suggestions for which lines they should honor, and who should say them, if the original actor isn’t available. For instance, I’d love to hear Ed Asner get up there and recite his own most unforgettable line of TV dialogue: “You have spunk. I hate spunk,” though I’m not sure enough viewers would recognize that one. Also, I’d be tempted to lard the list with quotes from House, since Hugh Laurie (pictured) gets better lines than just about anyone on TV. In fact, let’s just save time and have the ridiculously talented Mr. Laurie recite all the lines, in whichever accent pleases him. But let’s have your suggestions to the Academy below.
Posted August 13 2008 — 1:57 PM EDT
- The MTV VMAs winners list for 2015
- Billy Ray Cyrus is live-tweeting the VMAs
- Here's how Miley Cyrus arrived on the MTV VMAs red carpet
- Taylor Swift brought her 'Bad Blood' squad to the VMAs red carpet
- Robin Williams' daughter shares touching tribute to Oliver Sacks
- Jay Z apparently joined Instagram – then quit after only a few hours
- See Miley Cyrus meet Internet sensation Baddie Winkle before the VMAs
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!