The long-gestating spy vehicle Edwin A. Salt, which until now had Tom Cruise attached to play the title role, has set its sights on a completely different star, and his name is…. Angelina Jolie??? The project, which has already gone through a slew of potential directors, such as Terry George (Hotel Rwanda), Peter Berg (Friday Night Lights), and currently attached helmer Phillip Noyce (The Quiet American), focuses on a male CIA officer who’s accused of being a Russian sleeper spy. But the box office success of Jolie’s Wanted earlier this summer (to the tune of $133 million) has apparently reignited the possibility that we’ll see a new action heroine, an idea that Hollywood all but left for dead after Jennifer Garner’s Elektra bombed in 2005. There’s still no word on whether the script for Salt, which was penned by The Thomas Crown Affair’s Kurt Wimmer, will also require a rewrite, or if they’ll just change the pronouns. Sony Pictures is still negotiating with Jolie to play the officer — perhaps now she’ll be named Edwina — but if she doesn’t choose to star in the film, producers will likely return to their original idea of centering it on a male protagonist.
Posted August 15 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stan Lee attends 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Casting Net: Radcliffe and Dano lead 'Swiss Army Man' cast
- AC/DC near streaming deals?
- Jack Carter, comedian-actor, dies at 93
- NeNe Leakes exiting 'Real Housewives'
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'
- 'Ghostbusters' uniform: Paul Feig tweets first look
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!