The long-gestating spy vehicle Edwin A. Salt, which until now had Tom Cruise attached to play the title role, has set its sights on a completely different star, and his name is…. Angelina Jolie??? The project, which has already gone through a slew of potential directors, such as Terry George (Hotel Rwanda), Peter Berg (Friday Night Lights), and currently attached helmer Phillip Noyce (The Quiet American), focuses on a male CIA officer who’s accused of being a Russian sleeper spy. But the box office success of Jolie’s Wanted earlier this summer (to the tune of $133 million) has apparently reignited the possibility that we’ll see a new action heroine, an idea that Hollywood all but left for dead after Jennifer Garner’s Elektra bombed in 2005. There’s still no word on whether the script for Salt, which was penned by The Thomas Crown Affair’s Kurt Wimmer, will also require a rewrite, or if they’ll just change the pronouns. Sony Pictures is still negotiating with Jolie to play the officer — perhaps now she’ll be named Edwina — but if she doesn’t choose to star in the film, producers will likely return to their original idea of centering it on a male protagonist.
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Last Man on Earth': Will Forte on THAT season finale twist
- 'Game of Thrones' actor explains his surprisingly early exit
- 'Suicide Squad': First Look at rogues' gallery in costume
- 'Game of Thrones': Carice van Houten on nudity, Jon Snow
- 'Star Wars': 'Force Awakens' toys in Sept.
- J.K. Rowling sorry for a 'Potter' death
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!