The long-gestating spy vehicle Edwin A. Salt, which until now had Tom Cruise attached to play the title role, has set its sights on a completely different star, and his name is…. Angelina Jolie??? The project, which has already gone through a slew of potential directors, such as Terry George (Hotel Rwanda), Peter Berg (Friday Night Lights), and currently attached helmer Phillip Noyce (The Quiet American), focuses on a male CIA officer who’s accused of being a Russian sleeper spy. But the box office success of Jolie’s Wanted earlier this summer (to the tune of $133 million) has apparently reignited the possibility that we’ll see a new action heroine, an idea that Hollywood all but left for dead after Jennifer Garner’s Elektra bombed in 2005. There’s still no word on whether the script for Salt, which was penned by The Thomas Crown Affair’s Kurt Wimmer, will also require a rewrite, or if they’ll just change the pronouns. Sony Pictures is still negotiating with Jolie to play the officer — perhaps now she’ll be named Edwina — but if she doesn’t choose to star in the film, producers will likely return to their original idea of centering it on a male protagonist.
Posted August 15 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Quantico' postmortem: Who's gone from the Academy?
- 'Walking Dead' prologue scene sets up Negan, second half of season 6
- 'The Walking Dead': Did the midseason finale satisfy?
- See My Morning Jacket cover Eagles of Death Metal
- Sinead O’Connor found safe after posting that she had ‘taken an overdose'
- See Tracee Ellis Ross perform on stage with mom Diana Ross
- John Legend serenades Chrissy Teigen for her 30th birthday