The long-gestating spy vehicle Edwin A. Salt, which until now had Tom Cruise attached to play the title role, has set its sights on a completely different star, and his name is…. Angelina Jolie??? The project, which has already gone through a slew of potential directors, such as Terry George (Hotel Rwanda), Peter Berg (Friday Night Lights), and currently attached helmer Phillip Noyce (The Quiet American), focuses on a male CIA officer who’s accused of being a Russian sleeper spy. But the box office success of Jolie’s Wanted earlier this summer (to the tune of $133 million) has apparently reignited the possibility that we’ll see a new action heroine, an idea that Hollywood all but left for dead after Jennifer Garner’s Elektra bombed in 2005. There’s still no word on whether the script for Salt, which was penned by The Thomas Crown Affair’s Kurt Wimmer, will also require a rewrite, or if they’ll just change the pronouns. Sony Pictures is still negotiating with Jolie to play the officer — perhaps now she’ll be named Edwina — but if she doesn’t choose to star in the film, producers will likely return to their original idea of centering it on a male protagonist.
Posted August 15 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!