When his violent, hard-drinking bastard of a father is murdered —riddled with bullets, execution-style — ”angry young man” John Sanders Jr. goes looking for the perp — maybe to kill him, maybe to thank him in Fresh Kills. But his fruitless search through the bleak streets of Staten Island turns up more angst than leads. Junior spends much of his time in sloshed rumination over family dysfunction and the beatings his dad meted out, or bickering with the exasperated women in his life. Loehfelm’s dead-end, blue-collar setting, its atmospherics thickened by the titular landfill, abounds in gritty detail. But his kitchen-sink melodramatics — ”’Don’t make me choose between how much I love you and how much I hate him”’ — aren’t very fresh. B-
Fresh Kills When his violent, hard-drinking bastard of a father is murdered —riddled with bullets, execution-style — ''angry young man'' John Sanders...Fresh KillsFiction, Mystery and ThrillerBill Loehfelm When his violent, hard-drinking bastard of a father is murdered —riddled with bullets, execution-style — ''angry young man'' John Sanders...2008-08-15Putnam
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Bill Loehfelm; Publisher: Putnam
Posted August 15 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Jason Bourne' 3-D screenings causing nausea and protests in China
- Olympian auctions off medal to pay young boy's medical bills
- Nicole Scherzinger's Britney Spears impression is 'Crazy' good
- Woody Allen on Dylan Farrow accusations: 'I get harassed all the time on it'
- 'Game of Thrones' star Maisie Williams: 'It's time to wrap this up'
- Nate Parker comments on rape trial controversy in Ebony interview
- 'Beauty and the Beast' photos reveal Cogsworth, Lumière, and the Prince