When his violent, hard-drinking bastard of a father is murdered —riddled with bullets, execution-style — ”angry young man” John Sanders Jr. goes looking for the perp — maybe to kill him, maybe to thank him in Fresh Kills. But his fruitless search through the bleak streets of Staten Island turns up more angst than leads. Junior spends much of his time in sloshed rumination over family dysfunction and the beatings his dad meted out, or bickering with the exasperated women in his life. Loehfelm’s dead-end, blue-collar setting, its atmospherics thickened by the titular landfill, abounds in gritty detail. But his kitchen-sink melodramatics — ”’Don’t make me choose between how much I love you and how much I hate him”’ — aren’t very fresh. B-
Fresh Kills When his violent, hard-drinking bastard of a father is murdered —riddled with bullets, execution-style — ''angry young man'' John Sanders...Fresh KillsFiction, Mystery and ThrillerBill Loehfelm When his violent, hard-drinking bastard of a father is murdered —riddled with bullets, execution-style — ''angry young man'' John Sanders...2008-08-15Putnam
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Bill Loehfelm; Publisher: Putnam
Posted August 15 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday