The most surprising thing about the inspirational sports movie The Longshots is not that there isn’t already an inspirational sports movie with that exact name. The big shock is that the director is Limp Bizkit frontman Fred Durst — and he doesn’t do half bad. Yes, the (true) story he’s working with — an unpopular girl (Keke Palmer), coached by her reformed ne’er-do-well uncle (Ice Cube), becomes a star middle-school quarterback — is hopelessly clichéd. And there’s no forgiving Durst for the touchdown dance set to ”Whoomp! (There It Is).” But he conveys a real feel for the depressed factory-town setting and elicits better-than-usual work out of Cube. B-
Genre: Sports, Drama; Starring: Ice Cube, Keke Palmer, Tasha Smith; Director: Fred Durst; Author: Doug Atchison, Nick Santora; Release Date Wide: 08/22/2008; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MGM
Posted August 29 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!