There are two things that even a bad horror film can goose you with: an instant-dread clang on the soundtrack, and that eternal bit in which a medicine-cabinet door swings open to reveal…the demon suddenly there! Mirrors has a handful of the latter moments, but given that it’s a tale of evil spirits who reside in mirrors — they’re menacing Kiefer Sutherland, as a cop-turned-night watchman — the movie could have been a lot scarier. The director, Alexandre Aja, knows how to reflect the fear in people’s heads, but he gets too ensnared in a backstory (a historical inferno, a little girl dragged to an asylum) that’s just gothic business as usual. C+
Genre: Horror; Starring: Kiefer Sutherland, Paula Patton, Amy Smart; Director: Alexandre Aja; Author: Alexandre Aja, Gregory Levasseur; Release Date Wide: 08/15/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 111; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted August 29 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: Jason Isaacs to play villain in Gore Verbinski's horror flick 'A Cure for Wellness'
- 'Stitchers' react: Ambitious premise loses its thread
- Jay Rock shares introspective 'Money Trees Deuce'
- 'Entourage' becomes next victim of 'Honest Trailers' treatment
- 'Paper Towns' trailer sets up the mystery of Margo
- Twisted Sister documentary acquired by Music Box Films
- Gillian Anderson-led 'Streetcar Named Desire' coming to New York