There are two things that even a bad horror film can goose you with: an instant-dread clang on the soundtrack, and that eternal bit in which a medicine-cabinet door swings open to reveal…the demon suddenly there! Mirrors has a handful of the latter moments, but given that it’s a tale of evil spirits who reside in mirrors — they’re menacing Kiefer Sutherland, as a cop-turned-night watchman — the movie could have been a lot scarier. The director, Alexandre Aja, knows how to reflect the fear in people’s heads, but he gets too ensnared in a backstory (a historical inferno, a little girl dragged to an asylum) that’s just gothic business as usual. C+
Genre: Horror; Starring: Kiefer Sutherland, Paula Patton, Amy Smart; Director: Alexandre Aja; Author: Alexandre Aja, Gregory Levasseur; Release Date Wide: 08/15/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 111; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted August 29 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 1D's Liam Payne announces third single from 'Made in the A.M.'
- New 'Luther' trailer asks: 'You scared of me?'
- Drake: 'I'd do anything with Adele' — including a 'Hotline Bling' remix
- National Dog Show names Charlie the Skye terrier its Best in Show
- CBS will air two Super Bowl commercial specials before 'Super Bowl 50'
- Amy Schumer, Mindy Kaling, and more celebs give thanks on social media
- Highlights from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade