There are two things that even a bad horror film can goose you with: an instant-dread clang on the soundtrack, and that eternal bit in which a medicine-cabinet door swings open to reveal…the demon suddenly there! Mirrors has a handful of the latter moments, but given that it’s a tale of evil spirits who reside in mirrors — they’re menacing Kiefer Sutherland, as a cop-turned-night watchman — the movie could have been a lot scarier. The director, Alexandre Aja, knows how to reflect the fear in people’s heads, but he gets too ensnared in a backstory (a historical inferno, a little girl dragged to an asylum) that’s just gothic business as usual. C+
Genre: Horror; Starring: Kiefer Sutherland, Paula Patton, Amy Smart; Director: Alexandre Aja; Author: Alexandre Aja, Gregory Levasseur; Release Date Wide: 08/15/2008; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted August 29 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters