There are two things that even a bad horror film can goose you with: an instant-dread clang on the soundtrack, and that eternal bit in which a medicine-cabinet door swings open to reveal…the demon suddenly there! Mirrors has a handful of the latter moments, but given that it’s a tale of evil spirits who reside in mirrors — they’re menacing Kiefer Sutherland, as a cop-turned-night watchman — the movie could have been a lot scarier. The director, Alexandre Aja, knows how to reflect the fear in people’s heads, but he gets too ensnared in a backstory (a historical inferno, a little girl dragged to an asylum) that’s just gothic business as usual. C+
Genre: Horror; Starring: Kiefer Sutherland, Paula Patton, Amy Smart; Director: Alexandre Aja; Author: Alexandre Aja, Gregory Levasseur; Release Date Wide: 08/15/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 111; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted August 29 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Walking Dead': Ezekiel speaks! Khary Payton gives first interview
- John Oliver responds to 'Gilmore Girls' teaser
- Venice Film Festival 2016 lineup includes Natalie Portman's 'Jackie'
- Cara Delevingne and Dave Franco give James Corden new eyebrows
- Kanye West compares life to 'Meet the Parents' in new interview
- Cara Delevingne and Dave Franco Drop the Mic with James Corden
- The inhabitants of Alice’s Wonderland, ranked
- 'Alice in Wonderland': Witticisms and Wisdom From the Disney Classic
- 'John Tucker Must Die': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Captivating International Crime Thrillers
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?