There are two things that even a bad horror film can goose you with: an instant-dread clang on the soundtrack, and that eternal bit in which a medicine-cabinet door swings open to reveal…the demon suddenly there! Mirrors has a handful of the latter moments, but given that it’s a tale of evil spirits who reside in mirrors — they’re menacing Kiefer Sutherland, as a cop-turned-night watchman — the movie could have been a lot scarier. The director, Alexandre Aja, knows how to reflect the fear in people’s heads, but he gets too ensnared in a backstory (a historical inferno, a little girl dragged to an asylum) that’s just gothic business as usual. C+
Genre: Horror; Starring: Kiefer Sutherland, Paula Patton, Amy Smart; Director: Alexandre Aja; Author: Alexandre Aja, Gregory Levasseur; Release Date Wide: 08/15/2008; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 111; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted August 29 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!