Today is my last full day up here in Toronto, and I believe I’ve just seen perhaps the two strongest films at the festival back-to-back: The Wrestler and Slumdog Millionaire. You’ve already read EW critics Owen Gleiberman and Lisa Schwarzbaum rave about them, and I can tell you that all the hype is justified. Of course I was watching both films with my Oscar-obsessed eyes, and I’d say that Mickey Rourke is a very strong Best Actor contender for his surprisingly tender turn in The Wrestler. He surprised me scene after scene and I bet the Academy will feel the same. The gorgeous Slumdog, meanwhile, could be a contender in the adapted screenplay category, for Simon Beaufoy, a past nominee for The Full Monty); and in the directing race, meaning the fabulously inventive Danny Boyle could possibly earn his first career nod. After seeing these two fantastic pieces of work, I know it’s now time to come home.
Posted September 9 2008 — 9:24 PM EDT
- Country singer Granger Smith hospitalized after on stage fall
- New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' trailer has lots of Baby Groot
- Netflix announces 'Sense8' Christmas special, season 2 premiere dates
- 'The Last of Us Part II' reveal trailer shows matured Ellie and Joel
- Madonna jokes with Sean Penn about remarrying to raise money for charity
- 'Last Tango in Paris' director admits butter rape scene wasn't consensual
- 'Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite' will pit Iron Man against Megaman X in 2017
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big