Even before Babylon A.D.’s release, director Mathieu Kassovitz publicly disowned the sci-fi thriller about a mercenary (Vin Diesel, asleep at the wheel) who is hired to transport a young woman (Mélanie Thierry) from a convent in Kazakhstan to New York City. But it would’ve been gutsier to take full credit for something this derivative. Babylon’s plot is a lumpy mixture of The Fifth Element and Children of Men, while its dystopian future references Blade Runner, Dune, and The Matrix. And when martial arts star Michelle Yeoh shows up as a butt-kicking nun, you have to wonder if Kassovitz isn’t accidentally cribbing from Mel Brooks, too. D+
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Vin Diesel, Michelle Yeoh, Lambert Wilson; Director: Mathieu Kassovitz; Author: Eric Besnard; Release Date Wide: 08/29/2008; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted September 10 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Candace Cameron Bure shares new 'Fuller House' photo
- 'Deadpool' red band trailer to officially debut Tuesday on 'Conan'
- Dave Grohl responds in Italian to 1,000 fans who covered ‘Learn to Fly’
- Someone cut together 280 movies for an epic 'Uptown Funk' cover
- Box office report: ‘Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation,’ 'Vacation'
- First teaser for 'Zoolander 2' asks one big existential question
- Valerie Harper replaced in play after hospital stay
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!