The resonant, beautifully naturalistic drama The Pool is a return to the familiar subject of haves and have-nots for director Chris Smith (American Job, American Movie): A poor young man (newcomer Chavan) becomes entranced by the swimming pool of a rich man (veteran star Patekar) and begins to work in the owner’s garden. But in a winning gamble for such an American filmmaker, Smith transfers an Iowa-based short story by Randy Russell to India’s western Goa region — and works in Hindi, primarily with novice actors. The result is a story both authentically specific and profoundly global. A-
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Nana Patekar, Venkatesh Chavan, Ayesha Mohan; Director: Chris Smith; Author: Chris Smith; Release Date Limited: 09/03/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Vitagraph Films
Posted September 10 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Dave Grohl celebrates Chicago’s music scene at Wrigley Field show
- Taylor Swift is really, really excited for the 'Wildest Dreams' music video debut
- Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart almost joined Taylor Swift on tour
- 'We Are Your Friends' had one of the worst openings in history
- Details on the 'AHS: Hotel' Halloween episodes with Lily Rabe and Darren Criss
- 'Hannibal' finale review: A perversely romantic, totally satisfying last supper
- Caitlyn Jenner on the realities of dating as a transgender woman
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloeé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!