The resonant, beautifully naturalistic drama The Pool is a return to the familiar subject of haves and have-nots for director Chris Smith (American Job, American Movie): A poor young man (newcomer Chavan) becomes entranced by the swimming pool of a rich man (veteran star Patekar) and begins to work in the owner’s garden. But in a winning gamble for such an American filmmaker, Smith transfers an Iowa-based short story by Randy Russell to India’s western Goa region — and works in Hindi, primarily with novice actors. The result is a story both authentically specific and profoundly global. A-
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Nana Patekar, Venkatesh Chavan, Ayesha Mohan; Director: Chris Smith; Author: Chris Smith; Release Date Limited: 09/03/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Vitagraph Films
Posted September 10 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can Caleb from 'Big Brother' hack it on 'Survivor'? Jeff Probst weighs in
- Which member of Destiny’s Child are you?
- 'The Walking Dead': Lennie James says Morgan-Rick rift is bigger than people realize
- Nicolas Cage to star in parental thriller 'Mom and Dad'
- 'The Originals' boss on the casting change you may have missed
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on his acerbic antihero 'Deadpool'
- Universal wins film rights for 'Gone Girl' author's ghost story 'The Grownup'