The resonant, beautifully naturalistic drama The Pool is a return to the familiar subject of haves and have-nots for director Chris Smith (American Job, American Movie): A poor young man (newcomer Chavan) becomes entranced by the swimming pool of a rich man (veteran star Patekar) and begins to work in the owner’s garden. But in a winning gamble for such an American filmmaker, Smith transfers an Iowa-based short story by Randy Russell to India’s western Goa region — and works in Hindi, primarily with novice actors. The result is a story both authentically specific and profoundly global. A-
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Nana Patekar, Venkatesh Chavan, Ayesha Mohan; Director: Chris Smith; Author: Chris Smith; Release Date Limited: 09/03/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Vitagraph Films
Posted September 10 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Pokémon Go' gets the Honest Trailer treatment
- Radiohead played 'Let Down' for first time in a decade
- James Corden's parents cover WWE Monday Night Raw
- Shonda Rhimes on 'Scandal': 'I never said this was the final season'
- Morrissey reveals world tour dates
- Billy Ray Cyrus comedy 'Still the King' renewed by CMT
- Cartoon Hillary Clinton pokes fun of DNC drama with Stephen Colbert
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years