Director Vincente Minnelli’s mother hailed from a clan named Le Beau, which may explain his gift for celebrating Gallic culture. Despite the inescapable fakery of his An American in Paris — shot almost entirely on California sets and backlots — there’s tremendous visual wit in its love-letter visions of post-WWII expatriate-artist patronage. (Never mind that beefy dance genius Kelly makes one unlikely painter.) Gigi, the story of a girl (the delightful Caron) saved from de facto prostitution by true love, is an even more scrumptious Parisian valentine, since it’s garnished with lots of actual locations. Buyer beware: The docs and commentaries are smart and well researched, but these remastered transfers should look and sound better in high-def Blu-ray next year. A
Gigi Director Vincente Minnelli's mother hailed from a clan named Le Beau, which may explain his gift for celebrating Gallic culture. Despite the ...GigiMusical, DramaAlan Jay LernerPT115MG Director Vincente Minnelli's mother hailed from a clan named Le Beau, which may explain his gift for celebrating Gallic culture. Despite the ...2008-09-12Eva GaborLouis JourdanEva Gabor, Louis JourdanMGM
Genre: Musical, Drama; Starring: Leslie Caron, Maurice Chevalier, Eva Gabor, Louis Jourdan; Director: Vincente Minnelli; Author: Alan Jay Lerner; Runtime (in minutes): 115; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: MGM
Posted September 12 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most terrifying scenes
- Andrew Garfield compares making 'Spider-Man' movies to 'canning Coke'
- 'Under the Dome' will end this season
- Maisie Williams accepts Guinness World Record on behalf of 'Game of Thrones'
- 'Gotham' sneak peek: Barbara and Jerome cross paths in Arkham
- Uber offering free 'Mad Max: Fury Road'-themed rides in Seattle
- How the faith-based drama 'War Room' became a sleeper hit
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!