Festooned in befrilled pale purple outfits, his peroxided hair marcelled into place by his wife Betty, George Wagner — a.k.a. Gorgeous George — made quite a splash on the pro wrestling circuit in the 1930s and 1940s. As his fame grew, George, a onetime carny, insisted that the rings be doused in perfume and always made a show of folding his satin robes just so. The more he played the dandy, the more popular George — who called himself the ”Sensation of the Nation” — became. John Capouya never quite manages to prove his claim that ”the orchid path [George] traced now seems a prescient sketch of the contours American pop culture would take on,” blazing the way for Liberace and Madonna, but he delivers a solid, entertaining book about a long-forgotten character and a peculiar slice of American history. B+
Gorgeous George Festooned in befrilled pale purple outfits, his peroxided hair marcelled into place by his wife Betty, George Wagner — a.k.a. Gorgeous...Gorgeous GeorgeBiography, NonfictionJohn Capouya Festooned in befrilled pale purple outfits, his peroxided hair marcelled into place by his wife Betty, George Wagner — a.k.a. Gorgeous...2008-09-12HarperEntertainment
Genre: Biography, Nonfiction; Author: John Capouya; Publisher: HarperEntertainment
Posted September 12 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!