”My name is Joe,” says the familiar droopy voice on the soundtrack. ”And this is what I do.” He’s making reference to being a hitman, but the actor might as well be talking about himself: His name is Nicolas Cage, and this is what he does — take the big bucks to star in slovenly, inert pulp of the sort no actor of his magnitude should be stooping to. In Bangkok Dangerous, the Pang brothers, remaking their 1999 Thai thriller, turn Cage into a scruffy, blank-eyed cipher of an assassin, who has been hired to kill four men; we learn so little about them that they flash by like the bad guys in a trailer. The filmmakers even manage to turn seamy Bangkok into the least exotic setting imaginable. F
(Chan Kam Chuen)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Nicolas Cage, Jason With; Director: Oxide Pang Chun, Danny Pang; Author: Jason Richman; Release Date Wide: 09/05/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted September 15 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!