”My name is Joe,” says the familiar droopy voice on the soundtrack. ”And this is what I do.” He’s making reference to being a hitman, but the actor might as well be talking about himself: His name is Nicolas Cage, and this is what he does — take the big bucks to star in slovenly, inert pulp of the sort no actor of his magnitude should be stooping to. In Bangkok Dangerous, the Pang brothers, remaking their 1999 Thai thriller, turn Cage into a scruffy, blank-eyed cipher of an assassin, who has been hired to kill four men; we learn so little about them that they flash by like the bad guys in a trailer. The filmmakers even manage to turn seamy Bangkok into the least exotic setting imaginable. F
(Chan Kam Chuen)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Nicolas Cage, Jason With; Director: Oxide Pang Chun, Danny Pang; Author: Jason Richman; Release Date Wide: 09/05/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Orphan Black' creators break down the latest twist: 'It's an interesting revelation for us'
- 'SNL': How'd Scarlett Johansson and Wiz Khalifa do?
- 'Scandal' panel: 5 best moments, season finale teases
- 'Walking Dead' actor in subway rant clip
- Celebrities who share a birthday with the new Royal Baby
- Ruth Rendell, mysteries writer, dies at 85
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $84.5M Friday
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Kerry Washington, Plus Gwen Stefani, the Spelling-McDermott Family & More!