”My name is Joe,” says the familiar droopy voice on the soundtrack. ”And this is what I do.” He’s making reference to being a hitman, but the actor might as well be talking about himself: His name is Nicolas Cage, and this is what he does — take the big bucks to star in slovenly, inert pulp of the sort no actor of his magnitude should be stooping to. In Bangkok Dangerous, the Pang brothers, remaking their 1999 Thai thriller, turn Cage into a scruffy, blank-eyed cipher of an assassin, who has been hired to kill four men; we learn so little about them that they flash by like the bad guys in a trailer. The filmmakers even manage to turn seamy Bangkok into the least exotic setting imaginable. F
(Chan Kam Chuen)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Nicolas Cage, Jason With; Director: Oxide Pang Chun, Danny Pang; Author: Jason Richman; Release Date Wide: 09/05/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted September 15 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!