If you want to hear juicy inside tales of the scams devised by Lee Atwater, the right-wing visionary of media-age dirty tricks, you’ll find loads of them in Boogie Man. Stefan Forbes’ incisive portrait of the late, infamous Republican consultant is a chronicle of how the culture ? war took over American politics. ? As such, it could scarcely be more timely. (Karl Rove was Atwater’s protégé.) Atwater, who relished playing rock & blues guitar almost as much as he loved slinging mud, had his first dark victory in 1978, when he smeared Max Heller — a Holocaust survivor running for U.S. Congress — with a campaign that claimed Heller didn’t believe in the Lord. After that, there was Willie Horton, Whitewater — the hits kept coming. In terrific clips, we see the scampish gleam of mischief that shot out of Atwater’s steely eyes, giving him the look of a honky-tonk Daniel Craig. His great strategy, and legacy, was the art of lying out in the open. He saw that character assassination invades media like an airborne virus — that even a lie can become its own ”truth.” B+
(George Bush Presidential Library and Museum)
Genre: Documentary; Director: Stefan Forbes; Author: Stefan Forbes; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted September 19 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Tom Cruise & Jimmy Fallon recreate 'Top Gun' during epic lip-sync battle
- Kaitlyn Bristowe tries on wedding dresses with Jimmy Kimmel
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Beyoncé, Kanye West, Uma Thurman & More!