Set in a steampunk fantasy world that owes as much to Tim Burton and the Quay Brothers as to James Whale’s Frankenstein (1931), this cheeky CG fable tells the story of a hunchbacked lab assistant (voiced by Cusack) whose dream of mad-scientist stardom hits a snag when his monstrous creation (Shannon) turns out to be a big softie who prefers show tunes to screams of terror. The visuals are a kick; the groan-inducing dialogue isn’t. Igor tries to spoof Mary Shelley just as Shrek did the Brothers Grimm, but something tells us this movie’s charmless hero won’t make an ogre-size impression on kid audiences. Call it a hunch. C
Genre: Kids and Family, Comedy, Animation; Starring: Steve Buscemi, John Cusack, John Cleese, Molly Shannon; Director: Anthony Leondis; Author: Chris McKenna; Release Date Wide: 09/19/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MGM
Posted September 19 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright
- Hear Sia's new single 'One Million Bullets'
- A breakdown of the 13 most absurd moments in the 'Rocky IV' training montages
- Anne Hathaway is pregnant
- New look at 'Batman v Superman' will debut during 'Gotham' fall finale
- Daniel Radcliffe says he was 'not wanking' on set of 'Harry Potter'
- Matthew Weiner will direct an episode of 'Orange is the New Black'