Set in a steampunk fantasy world that owes as much to Tim Burton and the Quay Brothers as to James Whale’s Frankenstein (1931), this cheeky CG fable tells the story of a hunchbacked lab assistant (voiced by Cusack) whose dream of mad-scientist stardom hits a snag when his monstrous creation (Shannon) turns out to be a big softie who prefers show tunes to screams of terror. The visuals are a kick; the groan-inducing dialogue isn’t. Igor tries to spoof Mary Shelley just as Shrek did the Brothers Grimm, but something tells us this movie’s charmless hero won’t make an ogre-size impression on kid audiences. Call it a hunch. C
Genre: Kids and Family, Comedy, Animation; Starring: Steve Buscemi, John Cusack, John Cleese, Molly Shannon; Director: Anthony Leondis; Author: Chris McKenna; Release Date Wide: 09/19/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MGM
Posted September 19 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks could leave Disney next year
- 'Jack Reacher 2' starring Tom Cruise gets a release date
- Stan Lee says 'Fantastic Four' flopped because he didn’t have a cameo
- Dean Jones, The Love Bug and That Darn Cat actor, dies at 84
- 'Wildest Dreams' director responds to allegations of colonialism in Taylor Swift video
- How the new Oscar producers plan to change the show (and make it shorter)
- 'Batmetal Returns' to cover Dethklok, and destroy some of your favorite cartoon characters
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!