Set in a steampunk fantasy world that owes as much to Tim Burton and the Quay Brothers as to James Whale’s Frankenstein (1931), this cheeky CG fable tells the story of a hunchbacked lab assistant (voiced by Cusack) whose dream of mad-scientist stardom hits a snag when his monstrous creation (Shannon) turns out to be a big softie who prefers show tunes to screams of terror. The visuals are a kick; the groan-inducing dialogue isn’t. Igor tries to spoof Mary Shelley just as Shrek did the Brothers Grimm, but something tells us this movie’s charmless hero won’t make an ogre-size impression on kid audiences. Call it a hunch. C
Genre: Kids and Family, Comedy, Animation; Starring: Steve Buscemi, John Cusack, John Cleese, Molly Shannon; Director: Anthony Leondis; Author: Chris McKenna; Release Date Wide: 09/19/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MGM
Posted September 19 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- How Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, and other stars are celebrating July 4
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 50 Songs for 50 States: EW's favorite patriotic pop through the years
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Q's about Jace, Audrey, and a twist
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Eddie Redmayne, Eva Longoria, Flo Rida & More!