Set in a steampunk fantasy world that owes as much to Tim Burton and the Quay Brothers as to James Whale’s Frankenstein (1931), this cheeky CG fable tells the story of a hunchbacked lab assistant (voiced by Cusack) whose dream of mad-scientist stardom hits a snag when his monstrous creation (Shannon) turns out to be a big softie who prefers show tunes to screams of terror. The visuals are a kick; the groan-inducing dialogue isn’t. Igor tries to spoof Mary Shelley just as Shrek did the Brothers Grimm, but something tells us this movie’s charmless hero won’t make an ogre-size impression on kid audiences. Call it a hunch. C
Genre: Kids and Family, Comedy, Animation; Starring: Steve Buscemi, John Cusack, John Cleese, Molly Shannon; Director: Anthony Leondis; Author: Chris McKenna; Release Date Wide: 09/19/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MGM
Posted September 19 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Maya Rudolph, Martin Short reveal their fave SNL sketch by other person
- John Oliver wants to know why bread pants are 'not a thing'
- See Paul Rudd and Selena Gomez in 'The Fundamentals of Caring' trailer
- What to Watch Monday: 'Roots' takes over Memorial Day
- George and Amal Clooney honored for charity work by Pope Francis
- 'Schitt's Creek' cast describtes their show in 30 seconds
- 'Scream' bosses tease season 2: Who's the new killer?
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers