Hoping to reduce his sentence in juvie for a DUI, a hot-tempered high school rugby star (Faris) agrees to lace up for his warden’s old team. Like Varsity Blues and Friday Night Lights, the movie tackles its sport with a religious fervor that treats the field like a church, the coach a prophet, and the inevitable playoff match a sacrament. But Forever Strong, based on real-life events, also shares the secret sin of many a pigskin pic: Despite all the macho posturing, the corny story is just as sappy as anything on Lifetime. C+
Genre: Sports, Drama; Starring: Gary Cole, Neal McDonough, Sean Astin, Penn Badgley; Director: Ryan Little; Author: David Pliler; Runtime (in minutes): 112; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Crane Movie Company
Posted September 24 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Sonia Manzano remembers 44 years as Maria on Sesame Street
- Albert Hammond, Jr. says the Strokes don't have new music in the works
- Kaitlyn's Bachelorette blog: Ben would be a 'great husband'
- What's up next for OITNB's Ruby Rose?
- Brody Jenner opens up about Caitlyn in new interview
- Dee Snider is back with his first new song in over 20 years
- Mulder and Scully are back in action in new 'X-Files' revival teaser
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!