Hoping to reduce his sentence in juvie for a DUI, a hot-tempered high school rugby star (Faris) agrees to lace up for his warden’s old team. Like Varsity Blues and Friday Night Lights, the movie tackles its sport with a religious fervor that treats the field like a church, the coach a prophet, and the inevitable playoff match a sacrament. But Forever Strong, based on real-life events, also shares the secret sin of many a pigskin pic: Despite all the macho posturing, the corny story is just as sappy as anything on Lifetime. C+
Genre: Sports, Drama; Starring: Gary Cole, Neal McDonough, Sean Astin, Penn Badgley; Director: Ryan Little; Author: David Pliler; Runtime (in minutes): 112; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Crane Movie Company
Posted September 24 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Pretty Little Liars' poll: Who will die in the summer finale?
- How Kiiara struck 'Gold' with an unlikely pop smash
- Bitch Sesh: Casey Wilson, Danielle Schneider love these podcasts
- Seth Meyers previews the Hillary Clinton-Donald Trump debates
- Carol Kane remembers Gene Wilder as ‘one of the great clowns’
- Danny Brown on how 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' influenced his new album
- Zach Braff set to star in, direct ABC comedy pilot 'Start Up'