Hoping to reduce his sentence in juvie for a DUI, a hot-tempered high school rugby star (Faris) agrees to lace up for his warden’s old team. Like Varsity Blues and Friday Night Lights, the movie tackles its sport with a religious fervor that treats the field like a church, the coach a prophet, and the inevitable playoff match a sacrament. But Forever Strong, based on real-life events, also shares the secret sin of many a pigskin pic: Despite all the macho posturing, the corny story is just as sappy as anything on Lifetime. C+
Genre: Sports, Drama; Starring: Gary Cole, Neal McDonough, Sean Astin, Penn Badgley; Director: Ryan Little; Author: David Pliler; Runtime (in minutes): 112; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Crane Movie Company
Posted September 24 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bill Cosby loses appeal to dismiss sexual assault lawsuit
- Two lost albums from The Doors coming back this fall
- Watch Ed Sheeran's GMA performance right now
- Ryan Reynolds thanks fans for support as 'Deadpool' production wraps
- Soul-sucking dementor wasps, the Harry Potter illustrated edition, and more J.K. Rowling news
- Ty Dolla $ign's Tarantino-y video for 'Only Right' is here
- HBO nabs Duplass brothers' animated show
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!