In The Lucky Ones, a trio of U.S. soldiers who have just returned from Iraq — Tim Robbins as a 40ish veteran, and Rachel McAdams and Michael Peña as younger grunts on a 30-day leave — team up to drive across the country. The last time the Iraq war was the impetus for a road movie, with John Cusack gawking in his aviator frames in Grace Is Gone, I broke down and cried (not from the tragedy, from the film’s excruciating ineptitude and tedium). The Lucky Ones, though, isn’t a meandering, didactic downer. The word ”Iraq” is never mentioned, and the film has been designed as a kind of triple buddy flick, done with enough comedy and ”pace” to fill out half a season of a TV series. That’s what’s likable about it — and also what’s suspect. Each character is defined by one issue of extreme gravitas that is treated as a situation, an arc to be tidily resolved. Robbins learns that his wife wants to leave him (a credible problem staged in an overdone way), and he must find $20,000 so his son can attend Stanford. McAdams, who claims no kin, wants to join the family of the soldier who saved her. And Peña has a thigh wound that’s turned him impotent. It’s all very facile — war’s domestic fallout made into feel-good fodder — but The Lucky Ones isn’t dull, and the actors do quite nicely, especially McAdams, who’s feisty, gorgeous, and as mercurial as a mood ring. B?
Genre: Drama; Starring: Rachel McAdams, Michael Pena, Tim Robbins, Molly Hagan; Director: Neil Burger; Author: Neil Burger, Dirk Wittenborn; Release Date Wide: 09/26/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted September 24 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!