Hong Kong-born director Wayne Wang made his name with quirky, observant films rooted in Chinese culture like Chan Is Missing and Eat a Bowl of Tea before Hollywood lured him into Styrofoam projects like Maid in Manhattan (2002). So his return to personal form is welcome. Based on a story by Yiyun Li about an elderly man from Beijing (Henry O) who comes to the U.S. to visit his grown businesswoman daughter (Faye Yu), A Thousand Years of Good Prayers is a spare, controlled study in communication gaps and a piercing sketch of suburban American loneliness. B+
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Vida Ghahremani, Henry O, Feinhong Yu; Director: Wayne Wang; Author: Yiyun Li; Release Date Limited: 09/19/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 83; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted September 24 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 4 stars share their favorite musical moments
- Great Debates: Is the ultimate mob movie 'Goodfellas' or 'The Godfather'?
- Darby Stanchfield was surprised to learn that the NBA loves 'Scandal'
- Watch YouTube star Grace Helbig become a hermit crab for 'Oscar's Hotel'
- Is Michael Fassbender the best Steve Jobs yet?
- One Direction reveals next single, 'Perfect'
- 'Jane the Virgin' boss teases new 'drama, intrigue, and changing dynamics' for season 2