Hong Kong-born director Wayne Wang made his name with quirky, observant films rooted in Chinese culture like Chan Is Missing and Eat a Bowl of Tea before Hollywood lured him into Styrofoam projects like Maid in Manhattan (2002). So his return to personal form is welcome. Based on a story by Yiyun Li about an elderly man from Beijing (Henry O) who comes to the U.S. to visit his grown businesswoman daughter (Faye Yu), A Thousand Years of Good Prayers is a spare, controlled study in communication gaps and a piercing sketch of suburban American loneliness. B+
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Vida Ghahremani, Henry O, Feinhong Yu; Director: Wayne Wang; Author: Yiyun Li; Release Date Limited: 09/19/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 83; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted September 24 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Big Brother' host Julie Chen calls eviction 'ridiculous and dumb'; says Steve 'chickened out'
- Caitlyn Jenner explains how her views on marriage equality have evolved
- Ed Burns was super nervous his first day working with Tom Hanks on 'Saving Private Ryan'
- Blue Ivy dedicates Disney favorite to mom Beyoncé on her birthday
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Murder,' 'Scandal' & more
- The music we loved this week
- 'Game of Thrones' casts Samwell Tarly's brother
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!