The Anne Hathaway in Jonathan Demme’s indie drama Rachel Getting Married bears little resemblance to the sexy spy she played in Get Smart — much less the squeaky-clean heroine of The Princess Diaries. With her trademark flowing locks hacked into a jagged bob, the 25-year-old actress stars as Kym, a recovering drug addict who’s temporarily released from rehab in time to stir things up at her sister’s wedding. She’s an emotional manipulator who can’t resist telling an inappropriate story at the rehearsal dinner. Yet she’s also a loving woman desperate to move beyond a tragic event in her past. ”I never felt I was playing someone dark or tortured,” says Hathaway. ”One minute she could be suicidal, the next minute she could be absolutely exhilarated.” 10/3
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Sacha Baron Cohen to write, direct, produce, and star in Freddy Mercury biopic
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- 'Daily Show': Trevor Noah's name floats as possible host; get a quick intro to his work
- Jerry Seinfeld on Wale: 'He's got that true artistic spirit'
- 'Orphan Black' star Jordan Gavaris talks Felix
- Kids' Choice Awards host Nick Jonas answers questions from kids
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Kate Mara, Sienna Miller & More!