Isn’t it time someone made a kiddie comedy starring Triumph the Insult Comic Dog? I know, I know — he’s a bit racy for the preteen set. But the naughtiest word to come out of Triumph’s mouth is ”poop,” and any random three minutes of his hilarious hot-pepper razzing has more surprise and wit and sheer barbed fun than the soggy-cardboard excuse for a talking-canine romp that is Beverly Hills Chihuahua. Chloe, the pampered white pooch of the title, is voiced by Drew Barrymore as the most innocuously adorable of princesses; after landing in the street, she takes a lifetime in dog years to get down to Mexico, where she joins a Chihuahua revolution. You could say Beverly Hills Chihuahua is Lady and the Tramp meets Viva Zapata!, but seriously, I’ve seen zestier attitude in a Purina commercial. While George Lopez, Cheech Marin, and Paul Rodriguez are funny men, it’s amazing how boring these Latin-shtick cutups can be when none of them gets a single good line. D
Genre: Comedy, Kids and Family; Starring: Drew Barrymore, Piper Perabo, Salma Hayek, George Lopez; Director: Raja Gosnell; Author: Jeff Bushell, Analisa LaBianco; Release Date Wide: 10/03/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 85; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted October 10 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bob Dylan thanks Nobel Prize committee for honoring his songs as literature
- Chris Pratt says his son thinks acting is 'stupid'
- 'Assassin's Creed': Final trailer has plenty of new footage
- Louis Tomlinson debuts new song on ‘X Factor’ days after mom’s death
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony