Isn’t it time someone made a kiddie comedy starring Triumph the Insult Comic Dog? I know, I know — he’s a bit racy for the preteen set. But the naughtiest word to come out of Triumph’s mouth is ”poop,” and any random three minutes of his hilarious hot-pepper razzing has more surprise and wit and sheer barbed fun than the soggy-cardboard excuse for a talking-canine romp that is Beverly Hills Chihuahua. Chloe, the pampered white pooch of the title, is voiced by Drew Barrymore as the most innocuously adorable of princesses; after landing in the street, she takes a lifetime in dog years to get down to Mexico, where she joins a Chihuahua revolution. You could say Beverly Hills Chihuahua is Lady and the Tramp meets Viva Zapata!, but seriously, I’ve seen zestier attitude in a Purina commercial. While George Lopez, Cheech Marin, and Paul Rodriguez are funny men, it’s amazing how boring these Latin-shtick cutups can be when none of them gets a single good line. D
Genre: Comedy, Kids and Family; Starring: Drew Barrymore, Piper Perabo, Salma Hayek, George Lopez; Director: Raja Gosnell; Author: Jeff Bushell, Analisa LaBianco; Release Date Wide: 10/03/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 85; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted October 10 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Superman unmasks Batman in new sneak peek from 'Dawn of Justice'
- J.J. Abrams says screening 'Force Awakens' for Disney bosses was 'horrifying'
- 'Flash'-'Arrow' bosses & cast preview epic crossover with 'Legends of Tomorrow'
- 'Magic Mike' star: 'Channing Tatum does not like me'
- Benny Boom in talks to step in as director of Tupac biopic
- Andrew Lincoln tells you what is coming up next on 'The Walking Dead'
- See the Mountain from 'Game of Thrones' toss a keg 23 feet in the air