Has Dennis Quaid really never played a college football coach before? With his handsome, craggy face and likable intensity, he was born for the job, and he’s the main attraction in The Express, an overlong 1960s-set biopic of Ernie Davis (Rob Brown), the famous Syracuse running back coached by Quaid’s gruff (but kinda soft) Ben Schwartzwalder. The movie is structured all wrong — after the climactic Big Game, it rolls on for another 20 minutes — but Quaid delivers near the end. When Davis becomes the first African- American to win the Heisman, Quaid’s choked-up reaction is the movie’s high point. Even though it shouldn’t be. B?
Genre: Biography, Drama, Sports; Starring: Rob Brown, Dennis Quaid, Clancy Brown, Omar Benson Miller; Director: Gary Fleder; Author: Robert Gallagher; Release Date Wide: 10/10/2008; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season; Distributor: Universal
Posted October 10 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters