In this remake of the 2007 Spanish horror movie REC, a TV reporter (Jennifer Carpenter) accompanies firefighters on a routine nighttime call. They are soon surrounded by, or turn into, hungry-for-human-flesh plague victims. Quarantine director John Erick Dowdle and co-writing brother Drew wisely stick close to the told-from-the-cameraman’s point-of-view template of the terrific original, though they add a few fine flourishes. For instance, we discover that while the camera may not lie, it can make a virus-ridden zombie lie down — if you bludgeon a fiend in the face with it enough times. B+
Genre: Horror; Starring: Jennifer Carpenter, Steve Harris; Director: John Erick Dowdle; Author: Drew Dowdle, John Erick Dowdle; Release Date Wide: 10/10/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony BMG
Posted October 16 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Dirk Gently' trailer: Elijah Wood joins 'Holistic Detective Agency'
- Melissa McCarthy, 50 Cent, more audition for Han Solo role on 'Conan'
- Donald Trump defends Roger Ailes' against accusers
- Joe Perry performs for first time since hospitalization
- WATCH: 'Black Panther' director on representation in superhero movies
- WATCH: 'Spider-Man' director confirms Zendaya character name
- 'Captain America: Steve Rogers' writer Nick Spencer talks angering fans