In this remake of the 2007 Spanish horror movie REC, a TV reporter (Jennifer Carpenter) accompanies firefighters on a routine nighttime call. They are soon surrounded by, or turn into, hungry-for-human-flesh plague victims. Quarantine director John Erick Dowdle and co-writing brother Drew wisely stick close to the told-from-the-cameraman’s point-of-view template of the terrific original, though they add a few fine flourishes. For instance, we discover that while the camera may not lie, it can make a virus-ridden zombie lie down — if you bludgeon a fiend in the face with it enough times. B+
Genre: Horror; Starring: Jennifer Carpenter, Steve Harris; Director: John Erick Dowdle; Author: Drew Dowdle, John Erick Dowdle; Release Date Wide: 10/10/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony BMG
Posted October 16 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Olivia Munn teases her Psylocke fight scene in 'X-Men: Apocalypse'
- Football stars cheer 'Eddie the Eagle' in film’s Super Bowl spot
- T.J. Miller reveals some of the lines too dirty for 'Deadpool'
- Nicholas Sparks: 'No one wanted to play Noah' in 'The Notebook'
- Emma Watson, Benedict Cumberbatch named visiting fellows at Oxford
- Salma Hayek visits ER in ‘inappropriate’ shirt after on-set injury
- 'The Witch' is 'a Puritan's nightmare' in new featurette