In this remake of the 2007 Spanish horror movie REC, a TV reporter (Jennifer Carpenter) accompanies firefighters on a routine nighttime call. They are soon surrounded by, or turn into, hungry-for-human-flesh plague victims. Quarantine director John Erick Dowdle and co-writing brother Drew wisely stick close to the told-from-the-cameraman’s point-of-view template of the terrific original, though they add a few fine flourishes. For instance, we discover that while the camera may not lie, it can make a virus-ridden zombie lie down — if you bludgeon a fiend in the face with it enough times. B+
Genre: Horror; Starring: Jennifer Carpenter, Steve Harris; Director: John Erick Dowdle; Author: Drew Dowdle, John Erick Dowdle; Release Date Wide: 10/10/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony BMG
Posted October 16 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- What EW staffers are thankful for this year
- Big Apple Circus performer juggles at 'Hamilton' pre-show
- The year in Shondaland: A look back with Shonda Rhimes & her leading ladies
- Colbert tackles Thanksgiving controversies on 'The Late Show'
- New 'Star Wars' spot returns us to last year's teaser
- Uzo Aduba explains what it's like to perform alongside Taylor Swift
- Jimmy Fallon and Nathan Lane play 'Kid Dictionary'