In this remake of the 2007 Spanish horror movie REC, a TV reporter (Jennifer Carpenter) accompanies firefighters on a routine nighttime call. They are soon surrounded by, or turn into, hungry-for-human-flesh plague victims. Quarantine director John Erick Dowdle and co-writing brother Drew wisely stick close to the told-from-the-cameraman’s point-of-view template of the terrific original, though they add a few fine flourishes. For instance, we discover that while the camera may not lie, it can make a virus-ridden zombie lie down — if you bludgeon a fiend in the face with it enough times. B+
Genre: Horror; Starring: Jennifer Carpenter, Steve Harris; Director: John Erick Dowdle; Author: Drew Dowdle, John Erick Dowdle; Release Date Wide: 10/10/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony BMG
Posted October 16 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lil Wayne debuts his 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, more celebs spend July 4 on Instagram, Twitter
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 50 Songs for 50 States: EW's favorite patriotic pop through the years
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Eddie Redmayne, Eva Longoria, Flo Rida & More!