Part family history, part fiction, Matt Bondurant’s somber, engrossing novel, The Wettest County in the World, patches together the legend of his paternal grandfather and uncles, a fearsome trio of bootleggers in rural Prohibition-era Virginia. He’s wonderful at evoking historical atmosphere — the elaborate stills camouflaged in the woods,the music, the drunken gatherings that explode into shattering violence. (The book would make a teriffic HBO series.) Alas, he is somewhat less wonderful at pacing the narrative, which can be maddeningly slow. B
The Wettest County in the WorldPart family history, part fiction, Matt Bondurant's somber, engrossing novel, The Wettest County in the World, patches together the...The Wettest County in the WorldHistory, FictionMatt BondurantPart family history, part fiction, Matt Bondurant's somber, engrossing novel, The Wettest County in the World, patches together the...2008-10-22Scribner
Genre: History, Fiction; Author: Matt Bondurant; Publisher: Scribner
Posted October 22 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Once Upon a Time' promo reveals heartbreaking death
- Jack Black meets the cast of Broadway's 'School of Rock'
- See Ellen DeGeneres scare Chris Evans and Elizabeth Olsen
- See the Dixie Chicks cover Beyoncé's 'Daddy Lessons'
- New 'Call of Duty' teasers warn of a new enemy
- Beyoncé scores her sixth No. 1 album with 'Lemonade'
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch