Part family history, part fiction, Matt Bondurant’s somber, engrossing novel, The Wettest County in the World, patches together the legend of his paternal grandfather and uncles, a fearsome trio of bootleggers in rural Prohibition-era Virginia. He’s wonderful at evoking historical atmosphere — the elaborate stills camouflaged in the woods,the music, the drunken gatherings that explode into shattering violence. (The book would make a teriffic HBO series.) Alas, he is somewhat less wonderful at pacing the narrative, which can be maddeningly slow. B
The Wettest County in the WorldPart family history, part fiction, Matt Bondurant's somber, engrossing novel, The Wettest County in the World, patches together the...The Wettest County in the WorldHistory, FictionMatt BondurantPart family history, part fiction, Matt Bondurant's somber, engrossing novel, The Wettest County in the World, patches together the...2008-10-22Scribner
Genre: History, Fiction; Author: Matt Bondurant; Publisher: Scribner
Posted October 22 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: James Marsden, Rosario Dawson, more lend voices to 'Henchmen'
- From People: Bruce Jenner to pose as woman for 'Vanity Fair' cover
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- I'm not buying Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha'
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!