Part family history, part fiction, Matt Bondurant’s somber, engrossing novel, The Wettest County in the World, patches together the legend of his paternal grandfather and uncles, a fearsome trio of bootleggers in rural Prohibition-era Virginia. He’s wonderful at evoking historical atmosphere — the elaborate stills camouflaged in the woods,the music, the drunken gatherings that explode into shattering violence. (The book would make a teriffic HBO series.) Alas, he is somewhat less wonderful at pacing the narrative, which can be maddeningly slow. B
The Wettest County in the WorldPart family history, part fiction, Matt Bondurant's somber, engrossing novel, The Wettest County in the World, patches together the...The Wettest County in the WorldHistory, FictionMatt BondurantPart family history, part fiction, Matt Bondurant's somber, engrossing novel, The Wettest County in the World, patches together the...2008-10-22Scribner
Genre: History, Fiction; Author: Matt Bondurant; Publisher: Scribner
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!