Part family history, part fiction, Matt Bondurant’s somber, engrossing novel, The Wettest County in the World, patches together the legend of his paternal grandfather and uncles, a fearsome trio of bootleggers in rural Prohibition-era Virginia. He’s wonderful at evoking historical atmosphere — the elaborate stills camouflaged in the woods,the music, the drunken gatherings that explode into shattering violence. (The book would make a teriffic HBO series.) Alas, he is somewhat less wonderful at pacing the narrative, which can be maddeningly slow. B
The Wettest County in the WorldPart family history, part fiction, Matt Bondurant's somber, engrossing novel, The Wettest County in the World, patches together the...The Wettest County in the WorldHistory, FictionMatt BondurantPart family history, part fiction, Matt Bondurant's somber, engrossing novel, The Wettest County in the World, patches together the...2008-10-22Scribner
Genre: History, Fiction; Author: Matt Bondurant; Publisher: Scribner
Posted October 22 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Simon Pegg plays a drunk Ron Weasley on 'The Tonight Show'
- Yoko Ono and the Flaming Lips cover John Lennon's 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over)'
- Michael Shannon joins Broadway's 'Long Day’s Journey Into Night' revival
- Janis Ian: 'I have a personal stake' in Bill Cosby
- 'Sicario': Emily Blunt faces the cartels in exclusive new poster
- Metallica gets the comic book treatment
- Prepare to be enchanted by this Hayao Miyazaki tribute video
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Ellie Kemper, Matthew Fox, The VS Angels & More!