Unless you’re a little kid spooked by one of Disney’s evil stepmothers or The Nightmare Before Christmas, animated movies are never really that scary, are they? In real life, no adult’s ever been preyed on by a cartoon. That’s why Fear(s) of the Dark, a French-language omnibus of black-and-white horror ?toons, feels like a nonstarter. Six graphic artists contribute tales of gloom (featuring growling dogs, haunted houses, and ghostly samurai), but only one — about a boy and his insect-infested girlfriend, drawn by distinctive American artist Charles Burns (Black Hole) — gets under your skin. C
Genre: Animation, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Aure Atika, Guillaume Depardieu, Nicole Garcia; Director: Blutch, Marie Caillou, Pierre Di Sciullo, Jerry Kramski, Lorenzo Mattotti, Richard McGuire, Michael Pirus, Romain Slocombe; Author: Blutch, Charles Burns, Pierre Di Sciullo, Michael Pirus, Romain Slocombe; Release Date Limited: 10/22/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted October 24 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!