Unless you’re a little kid spooked by one of Disney’s evil stepmothers or The Nightmare Before Christmas, animated movies are never really that scary, are they? In real life, no adult’s ever been preyed on by a cartoon. That’s why Fear(s) of the Dark, a French-language omnibus of black-and-white horror ?toons, feels like a nonstarter. Six graphic artists contribute tales of gloom (featuring growling dogs, haunted houses, and ghostly samurai), but only one — about a boy and his insect-infested girlfriend, drawn by distinctive American artist Charles Burns (Black Hole) — gets under your skin. C
Genre: Animation, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Aure Atika, Guillaume Depardieu, Nicole Garcia; Director: Blutch, Marie Caillou, Pierre Di Sciullo, Jerry Kramski, Lorenzo Mattotti, Richard McGuire, Michael Pirus, Romain Slocombe; Author: Blutch, Charles Burns, Pierre Di Sciullo, Michael Pirus, Romain Slocombe; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted October 24 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Exclusive photos and intel on new characters from season 6 of ‘The Walking Dead'
- 'CSI' casts 'Faking It' star Katie Stevens for finale
- Christina Applegate on turning down 'Legally Blonde': 'What a stupid move'
- The Chilean miners disaster story comes alive in first trailer for 'The 33'
- 'Banshee' confirmed canceled after fourth season
- See EWwy campaign posters for the best dramatic actor nominees
- Netflix chief still 'thrilled' with Adam Sandler after 'Pixels' flop
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Ellie Kemper, Matthew Fox, The VS Angels & More!