Movies based on videogames, like the Lara Croft: Tomb Raider or Resident Evil franchises, tend to be hollow, hyperactive FX-laden blowouts. Max Payne has the hollow part down pat, but there’s nothing active about it. It’s just a grindingly inert death-wish thriller in which Max (Mark Wahlberg), a stone-cold detective whose wife and infant were mysteriously murdered, tries to solve the crime and exact his revenge. The movie is a series of glum interrogation scenes that lead nowhere special, with a not-quite-sci-fi urban murkiness that makes it look like someone was trying to shoot Blade Runner in Cleveland. D
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Action/Adventure; Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Beau Bridges, Mila Kunis, Ludacris; Director: John Moore; Author: Shawn Ryan; Release Date Wide: 10/17/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Angelina Jolie makes first public appearance since her surgery at the Kids Choice Awards
- Kids Choice Awards 2015 winners are...
- 'SNL react: Your quick take on The Rock and George Ezra?
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!