Movies based on videogames, like the Lara Croft: Tomb Raider or Resident Evil franchises, tend to be hollow, hyperactive FX-laden blowouts. Max Payne has the hollow part down pat, but there’s nothing active about it. It’s just a grindingly inert death-wish thriller in which Max (Mark Wahlberg), a stone-cold detective whose wife and infant were mysteriously murdered, tries to solve the crime and exact his revenge. The movie is a series of glum interrogation scenes that lead nowhere special, with a not-quite-sci-fi urban murkiness that makes it look like someone was trying to shoot Blade Runner in Cleveland. D
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Action/Adventure; Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Beau Bridges, Mila Kunis, Ludacris; Director: John Moore; Author: Shawn Ryan; Release Date Wide: 10/17/2008; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted October 24 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!