Movies based on videogames, like the Lara Croft: Tomb Raider or Resident Evil franchises, tend to be hollow, hyperactive FX-laden blowouts. Max Payne has the hollow part down pat, but there’s nothing active about it. It’s just a grindingly inert death-wish thriller in which Max (Mark Wahlberg), a stone-cold detective whose wife and infant were mysteriously murdered, tries to solve the crime and exact his revenge. The movie is a series of glum interrogation scenes that lead nowhere special, with a not-quite-sci-fi urban murkiness that makes it look like someone was trying to shoot Blade Runner in Cleveland. D
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Action/Adventure; Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Beau Bridges, Mila Kunis, Ludacris; Director: John Moore; Author: Shawn Ryan; Release Date Wide: 10/17/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted October 24 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Frozen' holiday special to air on ABC in 2017
- Ben Stiller, Penélope Cruz strut on 'Zoolander 2' premiere's red-carpet runway
- Gwen Stefani shares track list for third solo album
- 'The Flash': 13 most shocking moments from Team Flash's trip to Earth-2
- Kanye West: ‘Bill Cosby innocent'
- Natalie Portman, Nicholas Hoult cast in 'The Death and Life of John F. Donovan'
- Johnny Depp to star in 'The Invisible Man' for Universal