Movies based on videogames, like the Lara Croft: Tomb Raider or Resident Evil franchises, tend to be hollow, hyperactive FX-laden blowouts. Max Payne has the hollow part down pat, but there’s nothing active about it. It’s just a grindingly inert death-wish thriller in which Max (Mark Wahlberg), a stone-cold detective whose wife and infant were mysteriously murdered, tries to solve the crime and exact his revenge. The movie is a series of glum interrogation scenes that lead nowhere special, with a not-quite-sci-fi urban murkiness that makes it look like someone was trying to shoot Blade Runner in Cleveland. D
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Action/Adventure; Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Beau Bridges, Mila Kunis, Ludacris; Director: John Moore; Author: Shawn Ryan; Release Date Wide: 10/17/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted October 24 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 1D's Liam Payne announces third single from 'Made in the A.M.'
- New 'Luther' trailer asks: 'You scared of me?'
- Drake: 'I'd do anything with Adele' — including a 'Hotline Bling' remix
- National Dog Show names Charlie the Skye terrier its Best in Show
- CBS will air two Super Bowl commercial specials before 'Super Bowl 50'
- Amy Schumer, Mindy Kaling, and more celebs give thanks on social media
- Highlights from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade